ATI re-installation: INF error. video card not found.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mohan

ATI re-installation: INF error. video card not found.

Post by Mohan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:07 pm

Hello,

I tried to install alternative ATI drivers for my Asus 1950 Pro for some other problem. But I came not as far. I removed the original ATI drivers completely first. Now I get this error at installation of any drivers, native ATI or alternative or older versions: INF error. video card not found.

It then also suggests to install the standard vga drivers. I cannot find these even in safe mode of XP in the big list of standard XP drivers. I also tried to remove remaining ATI parts with various removal tools to no sucess. I even tried and deleted manually all keys in the registry identifiable to be ATI graphic card related.

What can I do to have the system installing the fucking Catalyst thing? I'm really tired of all the trouble ATI is causing... :evil: :evil:

Oh and: I have an XP dual boot on that computer, with the other XP working fine with the drivers still... can I perhaps simply copy some files in order to get the setup in the other up and running again?

Thanks for your help!
Mohan

incorrect

Post by incorrect » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:12 pm

are you using the ati setup exe or just browsing to the inf's directory and letting hardware detection install it?

Mohan

Post by Mohan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm using setup.exe from ATI Catalyst drivers. When using the hardware detection and navigating to the drivers folders it said there were no appropriate drivers. :?: :evil:

incorrect

Post by incorrect » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:56 pm

what if you browse for the inf in x:\windows\inf, where x: is the windows drive with working drivers?

Mohan

Post by Mohan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks incorrect, it seems I could restore the settings by system restore functionality of XP set to a point before all the deinstalling and installing took place.

Seems to work now.

Thank you so much for your continued help! Much appreciated!