AMD is cherry picking web reviews

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

AMD is cherry picking web reviews

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:21 am

AMD PR refused to have their new Radeon R9 Fury Nano graphic card reviewed by the most respecteful web reviewers around, like Scott Wasson (The TechReport), W1zzard (TechPowerUp!), and Brent Justice (HardOCP), and from what I understood probably because they need only glowing reviews.

I found rather informative the Kyle Bennett's (HardOCP) coverage of that affair.

With reference to me, I'll boycott AMD for at least a year for such a bold move: I think that arrogance won't save AMD from their financial and technology issues.

CA_Steve

Re: AMD is cherry picking web reviews for Nano

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:40 am

Didn't know [H] was also snubbed. I did notice a veritable sea of mediocre sites got the card. This crap usually backfires.

In any case, Scott got a card via another source. So, I look forward to THAT review with a bit of relish.

Another thought on the whole cherry picking low leakage/lower power parts for the Nano. That may really skew the population downward (slower) for standard Fury X OC'ing.

QUIET!

Re: AMD is cherry picking web reviews

Post by QUIET! » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:30 am

I kind of understand this after reading about the Fury Nano pricing at $649.

That price is just too high to tolerate poor reviews.

I don't know what AMD is up to but the poor availability of Fury cards together with this high price is making it hard to buy when I know 14nm GPUs are around the corner.

I want to buy an AMD card, it just has to have low TDP (Nano was perfect in this respect), low power usage for idle and 2D graphics (Nano is not so good here) and a competitive price (Nano failed hard here).