Audiophilia: hobby or disease? (CONTINUED)

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Audiophilia: hobby or disease?

Hobby
17%
Disease
31%
could go either way
39%
Your mom goes to college
3%
We shewt people who use dem big purty words 'round here
10%

Total votes: 59

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Wed May 25, 2005 3:21 pm

mathias wrote:How about we bash pccooler? There's not enough of that.
I think they may have done something vaguely innovative (well, they didn't copy it, I guess that counts by their standards?) with their new wator (sic) cooler block, but since I'm not familiar with W/C stuff I'll leave that for everyone else to decide.
mathias wrote:
StarfishChris wrote:I disagree with everything you say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it.
Well, I disagree with that.
Okay, I won't go as far as die for it. Maybe just a flesh wound.

yeha

Post by yeha » Wed May 25, 2005 7:16 pm

don't forget, pccooler isn't a manufacturer either, the zalman-"inspired" parts they sell come from primecooler.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed May 25, 2005 7:45 pm

yeha wrote:don't forget, pccooler isn't a manufacturer either, the zalman-"inspired" parts they sell come from primecooler.
Thanks, I was wondering where the rest of the Zalman ripoffs were.

Wow. They seem to be absolutely fanatical about ripping of Zalman. Clones of not just the CPU coolers and the VGA derivative, but also near exact ones of the ZM80C, the NB-47, the ramsinks, even the simple little 5V adaptor. The CEO of that company must really hate someone at Zalman.

BobDog

Post by BobDog » Wed May 25, 2005 10:50 pm

JimX wrote:I really hate it that the thread deteriorated to politeness and died! Could you pleeease start over? :D

Even on another topic!
I had no idea that everyone on this otherwise oh-so-polite board was so interested in yeha (who was and remains wrong) and me (who is and continues to be right) and others going back and forth on something so very much off-topic as audio AC cables et al. (so much so that we were kicked out of two other threads after taking them over!). I am sorry, I am not a videophile... if only I were I suppose our days could once again be lightened by another great flaming firefight. Alas it is not to be. I would be happy to argue political science with any one who is interested, but I don't do politics (I don't even vote), so I don't suppose anyone else would be much interested.
PositiveSpin wrote:The big difference between vinyl and CD/DVD-A/SACD is that vinyl is analogue, and the others are digital. Digital is good in terms of suppressing noise elements (scratches), but is limited to a particular level of fidelity. It's also very dependent on the quality of the A->D and D->A converters.
I agree fully. Despite what others have said here, it is analogue, not digital with the inherent fidelity advantage. Ultimately, (almost) all amplifiers must amplify an analog signal and all (all) speakers reproduce sound by transforming an analog/electrical signal into motion. Because analogue doesn’t have to go A/D, D/A, it has an advantage. If you cannot take the surface noise, that is certainly your call and you ought not to have to listen to analogue if you “cannot take it.” There I go again, being all civil, I am sorry.

As far as integrated amps go, there are certain compromises that must be made. On the other hand, however, I think that there are a great many advantages to combining a (known) pre-amp and (companion) amp in one box. I think that manufacturers have not taken the concept as far as they could have--do I think, in all truth, to hi-end snobbery. This may all be a-changin’ as you would know if you’ve seen the raves that a pair of hot new hybrid integrateds from Musical Fidelity and DK Design Group have been getting (alas, I have yet to hear either myself… though yeha may can save himself the trouble of bothering and just read the specs from the comfort of his computer chair… or listening chair… or whatever).

Wellllllllllllll, that's about it. I am sorry… I shall try to be more controversial next time.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Wed May 25, 2005 11:13 pm

Welcome back BobDog! Everyone is interested in a good fight. Look at the numbers. But NOT political science!!! We all have to try more... Chris? Mathias? Pete? Clive? Yeha?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu May 26, 2005 2:20 am

BobDog wrote:As far as integrated amps go, there are certain compromises that must be made. On the other hand, however, I think that there are a great many advantages to combining a (known) pre-amp and (companion) amp in one box. I think that manufacturers have not taken the concept as far as they could have--do I think, in all truth, to hi-end snobbery. This may all be a-changin’ as you would know if you’ve seen the raves that a pair of hot new hybrid integrateds from Musical Fidelity and DK Design Group have been getting (alas, I have yet to hear either myself… though yeha may can save himself the trouble of bothering and just read the specs from the comfort of his computer chair… or listening chair… or whatever).
And then there's my control amp. 8)

-Ed

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Thu May 26, 2005 6:14 am

BobDog wrote:I agree fully. Despite what others have said here, it is analogue, not digital with the inherent fidelity advantage. Ultimately, (almost) all amplifiers must amplify an analog signal and all (all) speakers reproduce sound by transforming an analog/electrical signal into motion. Because analogue doesn’t have to go A/D, D/A, it has an advantage. If you cannot take the surface noise, that is certainly your call and you ought not to have to listen to analogue if you “cannot take it.” There I go again, being all civil, I am sorry.
Hooray for analog!

Sadly, it is dying a quick death. Quantegy recently filed for chapter 11 :cry: :cry: , and have stated as much as they will produce tape for another year....and that's it. All the analog tape that will ever be made (most likely) will have been produced by June 2006. Welcome to the digital age, whether you like it or not :evil:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu May 26, 2005 9:18 am

JimX, If you meant me... I'm afraid I can only offer: stupid posts... or posts because I'm stupid and don't understand... any of my posts that don't fit in these catagories are accidental.. :P ... :oops:

I am however fluent in two languages :D .... (English and Profane...)

On topic(ish) though, just had the latest issue of Jaguar Magazine from ... Jaguar :roll: ... and there is an intersting article in there stating how they have 3 semi-anechoic chambers with 175MPH rolling roads at a cost of £3M each and employ 80 sound engineers/technicians, who spend 3-4 years on each model to get the sound of everything, incl doors, locks, seat adjusting motors 'just right'. They also have two mannequins (Jason and Lisa :shock: ... I kid you not!) who have lifelike ear canals for 'accurate' sound recording purposes. And so it goes on...
The stereos are designed by Alpine who carefully tailored them to each models acoustics.

And did you know that Harley Davidson are trying to patent the 'Potato Potato' sound of their engines?...

Sound is Big business.

Pete
(Apologies to all whom feel this post taints my reputation...)

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Thu May 26, 2005 10:00 am

I've got a CD of various Ducatis with stock and modified exhaust systems...

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu May 26, 2005 10:08 am

8)

BobDog

Post by BobDog » Thu May 26, 2005 12:33 pm

Hey,

As I said when I started posting here, I am moving out of ultra-hi-end 2ch and into home theater (hence the interest in HTPC, hence the interest in SPCR). Anyway, I am selling off the last of my 2ch. rig and I thought some here might be interested in what I’ve been running for the last few years. I could have posted this in the “for sale” forum, but I figured that no one here would be much interested in buying these pieces, so they are mainly posted for your interest only—not for sale per se (though if any one wants to grab a pair of mbl 121 speakers at a super, super low price, please feel free!).

Anyway, I am selling my speakers, mbl 121 Compacts, and my amp, a Spectron Musician II. I am also selling off a CD/SACD transport, a Philips/EMM Labs SACD 1000, but that was actually replaced in my system by an EMM Labs CDSD some time ago—I have not been using it of late. You’ll note in the system pictures a number of pieces that are no longer with me :cry:, including the wonderful Shunyata power conditioner, which yeha would say does not work, and the EMM Labs gear—which KILLS! Also not shown is my new Krell HT gear or my HTPC (because I am still waiting for it...). (Be sure not to miss the cable elevators on the floor as well).

You can also have a look at my office system, to which I am listening as I type this (a few of the notes, which refer to my big 2ch. rig are now out of date), here. That P-4 PC is loud AS HELL :x and I know (... now) that Creative pretty much sucks ass; I think I'll look into silencing it and getting a better sound card (or maybe a USB DAC) once I get done with my HTPC.

Happy listening.
Last edited by BobDog on Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu May 26, 2005 12:39 pm

BobDog wrote:Hey,

As I said when I started posting here, I am moving out of ultra-hi-end 2ch and into home theater (hence the interest in HTPC, hence the interest in SPCR).
Just curious, have you looked at this at all?

-Ed

BobDog

Post by BobDog » Thu May 26, 2005 12:51 pm

Edward Ng wrote:Just curious, have you looked at [PS Audio 5ch. amp] at all?
Hi Ed, no I have not--as I told you before, I have not heard much of the PS Audio stuff since they came back from the dead a few years ago. I'd be interested to hear it for sure but (a) unfortunately, that is a bit more than I can spend on an amp (now... no telling the future), and (b) if I were to go with a Class-D amp I would probably go back to Spectron because they kick ass and also because I know John Ulrick, the guy behind Spectron.

But hey, if you've got a PS audio sitting around and want to loan it to me for a year or two, I will not stop you.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu May 26, 2005 1:28 pm

BobDog wrote:
Edward Ng wrote:Just curious, have you looked at [PS Audio 5ch. amp] at all?
Hi Ed, no I have not--as I told you before, I have not heard much of the PS Audio stuff since they came back from the dead a few years ago. I'd be interested to hear it for sure but (a) unfortunately, that is a bit more than I can spend on an amp (now... no telling the future), and (b) if I were to go with a Class-D amp I would probably go back to Spectron because they kick ass and also because I know John Ulrick, the guy behind Spectron.

But hey, if you've got a PS audio sitting around and want to loan it to me for a year or two, I will not stop you.
You'd have to pry my GCC-100 out of my dead, cold fingers. :P

BobDog

Post by BobDog » Tue May 31, 2005 5:39 pm

sthayashi wrote:
peteamer wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:Do you get up in the morning and say to yourself "hmm, do I feel gay today?.
Does it make any difference to anyone else's life if I do?...

Didn't Hitler have a thing about blue eyes and 'curing' unwanted genetic characteristics.
Godwin'ed.

The thread is over. If any other moderator agrees, then lock it.
A great rule--and one I had not heard of before.

Ok, well... this thread was great for a while but it has really wound down. I guess I'll make it offical: I think that the if you-can't-measure-it-it-doesn't-exist Mafia are a bunch of NAZIS and leave it at that (just kidding :twisted: ).

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue May 31, 2005 5:42 pm

BobDog wrote:
sthayashi wrote:
peteamer wrote: Does it make any difference to anyone else's life if I do?...

Didn't Hitler have a thing about blue eyes and 'curing' unwanted genetic characteristics.
Godwin'ed.

The thread is over. If any other moderator agrees, then lock it.
A great rule--and one I had not heard of before.

Ok, well... this thread was great for a while but it has really wound down. I guess I'll make it offical: I think that the if you-can't-measure-it-it-doesn't-exist Mafia are a bunch of NAZIS and leave it at that (just kidding :twisted: ).
Okay, he used the N-word. I'm locking this. :evil:

-Ed

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue May 31, 2005 6:20 pm

BobDog wrote:Ok, well... this thread was great for a while but it has really wound down. I guess I'll make it offical: I think that the if you-can't-measure-it-it-doesn't-exist Mafia are a bunch of NAZIS and leave it at that (just kidding :twisted: ).
Quirk's exception nullifies your attempt to Godwin the thread.

But I'll keep it locked anyways.