Are the Special Olympics bad for criptards?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Who should be put into the labor camps?

crips
No votes
tards
No votes
criptards
17%
muslim enviro-feminist carnivorous rodents
83%

Total votes: 6

IsaacKuo

Are the Special Olympics bad for criptards?

Post by IsaacKuo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:53 am

Aren't insane asylums and orphanages doing more harm than good?

I think we should go back to the good old days, when criptards were pressed into lifelong hard labor constructing masoleums for the pharoahs.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:14 am

Dude,

I'm up for just about anything, but this really crosses the line.

Sorry man, I hope that you get banned.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:14 am

I've heard that before, with the claim that those sports should be in the regular olympics.

For trying to make our serious topics look like farces, i'll turn your farce topics serious.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:29 am

I think what bugs some people is that a seperate special olympics seems to imply that disabled athletes would not be able to compete against fully able ones, and that comes off as a bit as a freak show.

The difficult thing must be devising sports which able and disabled people can participate in. Horsecarriage sports look like a natural choice, extra sports could be derived from that by adding things like archery/marksmanship. Blind sports could also work, it should give a limited advantage to people who are actually blind, but there still would probably be a lot of people who'se hearing and athletic ability are naturally good. There's probably a lot of normal sports that blind people could compete in, like rowing.

StarfishChris

Re: Are the Special Olympics bad for criptards?

Post by StarfishChris » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:51 am

IsaacKuo wrote:I think we should go back to the good old days, when criptards were pressed into lifelong hard labor constructing masoleums for the pharoahs.
If we made everyone work, it wouldn't take their whole lives to do it! Plus, we have enough mausoleums already. Give the guys a break.

And about this whole special olympics thing... why can't I take part just because I have the use of four limbs? It's discrimination of the worst kind - the kind against me! If everyone could compete in the same event, wheelchair-bound or otherwise, then we'd only need one olympics, and I'd only feel half as bad because only one olympic team rejects me.

Baker

Post by Baker » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:14 pm

well I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I saw that...

:D

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:07 pm

Is this anywhere near a point? The urge to lock and/or delete is strong.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:33 pm

sthayashi wrote:Is this anywhere near a point? The urge to lock and/or delete is strong.
Just do it. Don't even think about it.

Lock it, leave it there for half an hour, then delete it. Then gag the original poster temporarily. Then, go to his house, and install several Thermaltake products in his computer case, and set his browser home page to be THG.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:40 pm

Why should this be locked? Why isn't whether disabled and fully able people can or should compete in the same sports a legitemate question to debate?

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:46 pm

The point of this thread was obviously to shed light on the ridiculousness going on in a certain similarly-named thread...

I say lock 'em both. Let's silence some computers.

NeilBlanchard

I get it...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:49 pm

Hello Isaac,

I get the joke, but I'm not sure that it is worth pursuing -- it is pretty hard to convince those who have already decided...and in the attempt to be fair and balanced, I think this thread needs to be locked, too.