It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Problems with FireFox 2.0......
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:38 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

I recently upgraded to version 2.0 on several computers.....and there are a few problems I'd like to address.

I cannot find an E-Mail link to put on the navigation bar. In version 1.5, there was a link available in the options window. Nothing I can find with version 2.0.

I am getting a pop-up window on several computers now, when I try to shut down the computer. It says something to the effect "xcom event.exe". This happens infrequently, but two different computers are now doing it after version 2.0 was installed. It only happens if I have used Firefox at least once before shutting down.

Any ideas...?

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill disciplined, despotic, and useless. Liberalism is the philosophy of sniveling brats." - P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:33 am 

Hello Carl,

I'm using v2 and I'm not having those problems, but I am have a fair number of occasions when FireFox v2 freezes. It does have an option to Restore Previous Session, but it would be better if it didn't freeze up. :(

FireFox v2 does handle cookies better than earlier versions, but they are hopefully working on these new glitches.

Post subject: Re: Problems with FireFox 2.0......
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:23 am 

Bluefront wrote:

I am getting a pop-up window on several computers now, when I try to shut down the computer. It says something to the effect "xcom event.exe". This happens infrequently, but two different computers are now doing it after version 2.0 was installed. It only happens if I have used Firefox at least once before shutting down.

Any ideas...?

I remember reading somewhere that FF's XPCOM interface sometimes caused this problem on systems running McAfee antivirus, but IIRC it happened even before v2 was released.

I suppose the best bet is the standard advice - back up your bookmarks, uninstall it completely and delete your profile folder, then reinstall adding any extensions one at a time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:12 am 

Hello,

Mozilla has posted v2.0.0.1 of FireFox, and time will tell if they have squashed the main bugs. Worth a try, anyway.

[Edit: Four hours so far, and zero crashes! This is a much better version of FireFox, for sure.]

[Edit 2: It been more than a day of using FireFox 2.0.0.1 -- and no freezes at all!]