Early Snow Blankets Vancouver

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:50 pm

qviri wrote:Yes, but when going outside, you can always put on more clothes, but you can't exactly take off your skin...
But you can go to the beach. You can keep your women with more clothes on, I'll stay with the bikinis.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:19 pm

Reachable wrote:Those two photos that have been up vis-a-vis this blog entry are very disturbing......very disturbing.

.........very disturbing.......
disturbing because..... :?:

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:35 pm

MikeC wrote:
Reachable wrote:Those two photos that have been up vis-a-vis this blog entry are very disturbing......very disturbing.

.........very disturbing.......
disturbing because..... :?:

Oops, I hope I haven't been taken too seriously here :oops: .

It's just that those photos are a reminder of what you have to go through to survive a New England winter.

I was trying to make it sound lighthearted. I guess it didn't come through the way I wanted. :oops:

nici

Post by nici » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:48 pm

The only complaint i have about snow is that it sucks when using a wheelchair. Yeah. As for driving, you can get where you are going just as fast as in the dry, it just takes a bit more skill.

I cant help but laugh when the news say there has been a "catastrophic" snowstorm in NA somewhere.. It's like the end of the world :lol: Here everything continues more or less normally even if there is 40cm of snowfall over one night.. :P

ciz28

Post by ciz28 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:54 pm

Is anyone else getting hit by this in the Seattle area? I'm stuck in work at Redmond, and all I can see is tail lights on every road visible from my building. Even my parking garage has lines backing up inside it!

And to boot, I have a lightweight, rear wheel drive, manual transmission car with summer tires on it. I'm not going anywhere any time soon!

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:34 pm

My God it's beautiful! I love the snow and the cold and I love the chaos that it causes. I'll take being freezing over boiling any day. I spent all Sunday working in the snow. I haven't had that much fun in ages.

There's lots of trees and branches down that can't bear the weight of the snow; the block next to mine had thick branches strewn all down it. I witnessed a branch fall that was at least 8 inches thick.

I don't know why everyone's so scared of driving in the snow. Snow makes driving fun! Yes, it's slippery, but around here people drive so slowly that even if you're in an accident you're unlikely to be seriously hurt.

The only downside so far? My internet went down for two days, so I've been away from SPCR longer than usual...

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:51 am

ciz28 wrote:Is anyone else getting hit by this in the Seattle area? I'm stuck in work at Redmond, and all I can see is tail lights on every road visible from my building. Even my parking garage has lines backing up inside it!

And to boot, I have a lightweight, rear wheel drive, manual transmission car with summer tires on it. I'm not going anywhere any time soon!
Yeah - lucky for us it started after I left for home on the bus - but before my wife left for night class - she stayed home. Weird snow/hail dropped about an inch in a half hour.

Best of luck getting home!

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:10 pm

Snow? In Vancouver? Impossible!

Evil Gnomes

Post by Evil Gnomes » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:48 am

damn, wish we had snow here

Instead we can look forward to 40C temps in a few weeks or so...

And id take cold over warm anyday, in cold you can at least rug up heaps, in hot you could go out naked and still be uncomfortable...

I remember when i went to vancouver in spring, how cold the tap water was (the only way to get water that cold here is to put it in the fridge for an hour or so)....i cant imagine how could it would be at this time :P

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:12 am

The official meteorological autumn (sept-nov) just ended. It has been the hottest autumn in over 300 years here in the Netherlands. So snow? snow? I haven't seen any in a while.

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:56 pm

Evil Gnomes wrote:damn, wish we had snow here

Instead we can look forward to 40C temps in a few weeks or so...

And id take cold over warm anyday, in cold you can at least rug up heaps, in hot you could go out naked and still be uncomfortable...

I remember when i went to vancouver in spring, how cold the tap water was (the only way to get water that cold here is to put it in the fridge for an hour or so)....i cant imagine how could it would be at this time :P
I was standing in a pool one morning, because I took a shower and the drain pipe froze up... (shower/bath is an external attachment added last year.) :shock:

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:21 pm

Ah, Vancouver. I'm a hardbooter, and Whistler is on my must-try list. Maybe in 3-4years I'll be up there to say hi. :)

Mt Bachelor is the destination for next year, with probably Sun Valley the next.

DrCR

Goldmember

Post by Goldmember » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:25 pm

"I'm dreaming of a White Christmas..."

I watched the X3: The Last Stand DVD recently and was so impressed with the scenery that I purposely sat through the end credits just to see the film's locations.

It was Vancouver, B.C. of course, aka Hollywood North. You really have a beautiful place up there.

But those OP pics remind me of why we see so many Ontario and Quebec license plates down here this time of year. :wink:

Snow is great for a few weeks but then it gets really ponderous really fast. But I guess the same can be said for incessant heat or rain.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:18 pm

Hah, the majority of X3 was filmed in studio, and could have come from Bangladesh for all the use it made of Vancouver's locations. And I have my doubts about some of the exteriors ... I suspect some of the shots were done elsewhere. The scene on the beach was the only scene I can remember that looked like it came from here.

The fact is that most blockbusters that get filmed up here are filmed for budget reasons, not location, which is why most of the big productions here are utter crap. I'm not proud that my city has hosted 5? Scary Movies.

There are a few exceptions, but I find that our local TV shows make much better use of our locations.

My favorite examples of Vancouver-made movies with recognizable scenery are Rumble in the Bronx with its hovercraft cruising down Pender St. into China Town, and Romeo Must die, with "West Van Hardware" appearing in the middle of what is supposed to be Hollywood. The No. 5 Robson bus that follows the gangster through an "LA" road gave me a laugh as well.