Low noise valve guitar combo!

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Low noise valve guitar combo!

Post by smilingcrow » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:40 am

I’m looking for a guitar amp and since I prefer valve amps and they tend to be noisier than other types, I’m wondering if anybody has any recommendations. Of course there are other more important parameters when choosing an amp, but I really would prefer one that is relatively quiet at low volume.

I’ll be playing a Strat Plus Deluxe which has Lace Sensor pickups which are quieter than the usual single coil pickups.
I tried a Peavey Valve King 112 last night and it was noisier than I like and not the amp for me anyway; I don’t need such high gain.
I used to own a Fender Pro Junior which was a sweet little thing but had a strange background noise thing going on.
I’m looking at amps in the 15 to 30W region with a 10 or 12 inch speaker; no monsters as it’s not for gigging.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:39 am

I'm rather fond of the Fender Vibroverb and Bassman (yes it sounds good on a tenor as well as bass). While origianlly an older model I believe Fender has a modern remake. Crate made a very nice one some years ago as well. I don't know if they still do or not. The Bluesbreaker is decent as are Marshall's valve heads. If you want a slightly more modern sound the newer Marshall hybrids might suit you.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:05 pm

Thanks NyteOwl. The Fenders you mentioned are too expensive for me; the Vibroverb is ~£1800 and the Bassman 59 Reissue is about £900. My budget is nearer £350 and there are amps in that price range from Peavey, Fender & Laney amongst others.

Lliam

Post by Lliam » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:27 am

You any good with a soldering iron and a schematic?
AX84 project
I've heard the Laney LC30-II is a good sounding amp, and goes for about £350. (google LC30)
and with the sound of a BbmM7#13 he was gone....

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:45 am

Lliam wrote:You any good with a soldering iron and a schematic?
AX84 project
I've heard the Laney LC30-II is a good sounding amp, and goes for about £350.
Soldering is not my strong point, thanks for the pointer though.
I am looking at Laney, but the VC series rather than the LC series. I tried an LC15 many years ago and didn't get on with. I heard someone playing a VC30 and it sounded good, need to test it myself though.

UK-Bob

Post by UK-Bob » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:46 pm

You could always try a modeling amp such as something from the superb Line6 range ?