experience with chopping up TFT monitors?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

experience with chopping up TFT monitors?

Post by klankymen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:05 pm

Well, I decided I don't like the look of 2 monitors on my desk, although I would still like to have a little extra display for while I'm gaming / watching movies.

So I decided to get a cheapish vga monitor and chop up the display and do something like this with it:

(just quickly photoshopped this one up, so it doesn't look perfect)

the monitor I was looking at is this one, I was wondering if anyone here has ever attempted a similar project, or could lead me to some ressources of people who have.

Other then that any feedback/criticism would be welcome, I think at 80 bucks (only 60 euros for me thanks to strong euro) this would be worth voiding the warranty on to make it smaller, so it could fit under the p180 door. BTW I was hoping to build it so it can mount in any 2x5,25" optical drive bays, for future-proofness.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:26 pm

That has to be one of the most adventurous ideas I have ever seen, I have no idea how you would go about attaching it to the VGA output or how you would even get the screen horizontal so itis readable.

Good luck, I think that you will need it.

Andy

floffe

Post by floffe » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:34 pm

Tom's hardware did something similar with a TFT display and an OH projector a couple of years back. It should have some handy tips

Note: this was before they turned horrible, back then they were just crazy :lol:

ciz28

Post by ciz28 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:14 pm

andyb wrote:That has to be one of the most adventurous ideas I have ever seen, I have no idea how you would go about attaching it to the VGA output or how you would even get the screen horizontal so itis readable.

Good luck, I think that you will need it.

Andy
I've seen this several times on various hardware sites... the connections are quite simple, just run a composite/s-video/vga cable out through the back of your case into your video card. The rotation is supported in you video card's control panel.

The difficulty is actually integrating the physical display with your case/bezel. I'm sure that would depend on your actual hardware, but it requires quite a steady hand and some ingenuity to make it look good.