It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Winstall.exe - helpp!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:44 am 
Hi
My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger. I ran AVG Free and the virus went to the vault, which i have deleted and all seems to be running fine now. however, i've had to vault it three times. when I restart, the virus seems to reappear. but my computer is running fine.

but...

there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.

I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)

help??
Lots of thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:36 am 

Sounds like you need a firewall. Try ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall if you like.

Post subject: Re: Winstall.exe - helpp!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:32 am 

alisaselez wrote:
Hi
My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger.
vertigo wrote:
Sounds like you need a firewall. Try ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall if you like.
Not even firewalls can protect the computer from the user.

Post subject: Re: Winstall.exe - helpp!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:39 am 

alisaselez wrote:
there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.
It's most likely spysheriff. Check here how to remove it.
Quote:
I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)
Generally speaking having more then one anti virus program is not a good idea, it can really screw up your computer.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:16 am 

Quote:
Not even firewalls can protect the computer from the user.

A firewall like SPF can alert you to traffic to a trojan app.