MS update made my computer NOISY.....

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

MS update made my computer NOISY.....

Post by Bluefront » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:53 am

Heh....it's true. I recently updated my XP SP2 build using Autopatcher Nov 06. All the critical updates installed without problems. Then I installed the "recommended" updates....all MS patches. After this my CPU usage never went below 25% even at an idle.....this caused the temp to rise and the cpu fan to raise 150rpms. Terrible.

Fortunately I had a back-up image of the OS, as I could not determine which of the many patches was the problem. There was no HD activity going on, and task manager showed no excessive CPU usage with any running program. Anyway....here's the culprit. KB918005 v4. It pertains to some sort of USB device detection, battery life on a laptop.....which I interpret as cpu usage. Whatever.....it didn't work for me.

Luckily....in device manager, you can remove this particular patch, and the cpu usage will return to normal. YMMV
Last edited by Bluefront on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:41 am

Greetings Carl,

Do you mean that you used the Add/Remove Programs control panel to remove it? I looked there on my Athlon 64 X2 machine, and I don't see it. What CPU is in your machine?

I also looked in the Hardware/Device Manager and did no see any OS patches there.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:05 am

In add/remove programs there's a check box that lets you see all the MS updates you have installed.....well most anyway. When you install updates using Autopatcher, you are given the opportunity to have an uninstall option for each file.... definately do so.

This is a P4-3.4 on an AOPEN board with an intel chipset. Don't think that affects the MS updates though....at least the add/remove programs thing.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: MS update made my computer NOISY.....

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:35 am

Bluefront wrote:Then I installed the "recommended" updates....
I never install the "recommended" updates.

And unless it seems real urgent, I usually wait a week or two after the "critical" updates are released before I install them. During that time I monitor the various forums for any potential problems caused by the latest set of patches. I learned long ago to let the Early Adopters do the MS beta testing for me. :)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:24 pm

Keep in mind this was the complete set of updates since the release of SP2. So most of the patches weren't particularly new. If you get the complete full Autopatcher nov 06, it contains every MS update and patch since SP2.....a full 338mb of files.

There is an explanation of each separate patch, and many of them are newer versions of the originals. I pay pretty close attention to various forums devoted to MS stuff.......so if there is a questionable file, I won't install it. The MS Genuine Advantage update for instance.....100% spyware. :lol:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:02 pm

Hello,

I may be foolish, but I always install all the updates -- that particular one is not on my machine; but I thank you for the heads up, anyway!