I need to reduce the refrigerator noise

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ozkar

I need to reduce the refrigerator noise

Post by Ozkar » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:00 pm

I've got a pretty silent computer, i'm proud of it. However, my refrigerator is only a few feet from it and the noise that it makes is becoming unbearable. I need to find some kind of material that I can put behind my refrigerator to absorb some of the noise it makes. I cannot replace the refrigerator. What would be a good choice of material to put on the walls behind it? I suppose the material has to be fire resistant because the refrigerator is next to the stove.

Any recommendations?

Brians256

Post by Brians256 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:25 am

Suggestions:

- Replace the fans with 1) more quieter fans, 2) larger quieter fans. Use temperature controlled fans that monitor the temperature of the condensor coils.
- Replace the vibration isolation mounts on the compressor with softer ones. They will work better but will need to be replaced more often.
- Duct air and sound away from your position. The noise will still exist but be further from you.

Brians256

Post by Brians256 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:28 am

Behind the refrigerator, you could put the egg crate foam that you find in packages. I've used that in some cases. It doesn't help much for me, though.

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:02 pm

I never knew you could change the refrigerator fans. How difficult is it? has anyone tried it. I'm crazy enough to try that....

i'm going to google that right now...