The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sanse

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\

Post by sanse » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:25 am

Recently my rig has begun to spit out in the system event-log the following messages:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D."

or

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D."

All this with eventID: 11.

Everything works fine; checkdisk does not find anything irregular. Sata-cables are fixed. Temps are not too high.

The only application that is bothered by this is Acronis True Image Home. When the system is in this state it's impossible to make an image. True Image just stops with an error message saying something about 'error writing file' (error 40003). At the same time it's perfectly possible to write a simple txt-file with Notepad on the same partition True Image wants to write it's image.

Sometimes a reboot helps to solve it for a while. Restoring an older image did help for a while. Re-installing the nVidia storage drivers did not help. Disabling NCQ for the Sata-controllers did not help. Disabling AI NOS automatic overclocking did not help. The problem seems to stay. The machine did not show any of this for the first 12 months.

I do install/un-install software regularly.

Anyone having any idea what is going here and how to get rid of it?

sanse

Post by sanse » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:55 am

it seems acronis true image does not cooperate very well (anymore) with nvidia chipset/display drivers on my rig. if i un-install the nvidia display drivers the errors disappear.

so maybe a bug or something in true image and/or the drivers or the combination?

weird...