anyone try linksys wireless n? - cost same as SRX

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

anyone try linksys wireless n? - cost same as SRX

Post by dan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:55 pm

does it have srx like range with regular wireless g? cost same as SRX

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:27 pm

I have been trying to get HD to stream over wireless. I did some research and found that the Airgo gen 3 chipset is the best G solution out there with the best range and speed. So far the N solutions are not mature. Linksys SRX systems are kinda funny because the Linksys SRX400 router does not use the gen 3 chipset while the pci SRX400 wireless card does. The best wireless router out there is the Netgear rangemax240 and it uses the airgo gen 3 chipset. I paired the rangemax240 with the PCI SRX400wireless card and I can stream HD over wireless.

I have been using this solution for a few days and it appears to work just fine. My router and pci card antenna are not in optimal locations because my wires are too short but I am still able to stream HD. It seems these products are being phased out in favor of the N products even though they are not as good. I was able to find the PCI card for $75 at frys because it was being discontinued and the rangemax was $45 refub at frys. It works perfectly. Get about 30 mbit/s with no peaks or valleys. Only time a refurb has ever worked for me. It made it easier that I could just take it back to frys if it was broken though.

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:33 pm

If I ever install a fast network, it'd be a wired network. 802.11g is good enough for everything I've thrown at it, more or less, but a real network is always going to be over a wire.

So the N stuff doesn't appeal to me. If I wanted/needed something faster than 11g, I'd get a wire for the additional reliability/speed.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:43 pm

autoboy wrote:I have been trying to get HD to stream over wireless. I did some research and found that the Airgo gen 3 chipset is the best G solution out there with the best range and speed. So far the N solutions are not mature. Linksys SRX systems are kinda funny because the Linksys SRX400 router does not use the gen 3 chipset while the pci SRX400 wireless card does. The best wireless router out there is the Netgear rangemax240 and it uses the airgo gen 3 chipset. I paired the rangemax240 with the PCI SRX400wireless card and I can stream HD over wireless.

I have been using this solution for a few days and it appears to work just fine. My router and pci card antenna are not in optimal locations because my wires are too short but I am still able to stream HD. It seems these products are being phased out in favor of the N products even though they are not as good. I was able to find the PCI card for $75 at frys because it was being discontinued and the rangemax was $45 refub at frys. It works perfectly. Get about 30 mbit/s with no peaks or valleys. Only time a refurb has ever worked for me. It made it easier that I could just take it back to frys if it was broken though.
thanks for sharing this with me.