It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: installing OS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:25 pm 

Ok, i have a copy of XP Pro that came with my computer (HP). The HD crashed and I replaced it. The copy of XP Pro says that i need to have a system restore CD to use it. I was wondering if i can install this OS on my new HD without the recover CD?

Post subject: I believe so
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:01 am 

all the windows files should be on the CD in a folder called "i386"

if you happen to have a boot disk handy, like a windows 98 boot disk, use that to boot and then navigate to your CD drive (proably by typing "D:" or "E:" at the command prompt, once you are on your CD drive type "cd i386"

so you should see something like "E:\i386" try typing "winnt.exe"

if memory serves me, that shoudl start the install process

if you have a 2nd computer and access to a CD burner, you can make your own bootable windows XP CD using some software called "nlite"

hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 pm 

If you could find a Windows XP Pro CD (not a Corporate version but a retail or OEM version), it's possible to reinstall the OS using the CD Key provided by HP. The recovery CD normally reinstalls the OS and all the default applications. The last time I saw an HP recovery CD, there was no i386 forder but only compressed files used by the recovery application... Try booting from your XP Pro CD and see if it works, if it's a complete version of Windows, you'll only have to find your drivers after the installation.

Zalman LQ1000 liquid cooled case + dampening material + PVC tubes + MCP350 with EK top (acetal) and decoupling kit + Nexus 120mm + Xigmatek 200mm + HDD cage removed | Asus Maximus III Formula (ROG) | Intel Core I7 870 + EK Supreme (acetal) | 8GB Kingston | AMD Radeon HD 5850 1GB O/C + EK full cover block (acetal) | Western Digital Black 1TB + NoVibes III + Nexus 120mm (5V) | Seasonic X-850

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:42 pm 

Well thanks for all the replies, I ended up not using that CD. When I tried to install, it prompted me to put in the "System Recover Plus!" CD. Of course, I didn't have one. In the end i used an OEM XP Home; it's better anyways, with out all that preload crud, i.e. Norton, HP updated, etc. The HD is running great. My new computer should be in the General gallery as soon as I install my HR-03 in place of the noisy stock ATi GPU cooler. Thanks once again for the help!

-Pennell

3800 X2 w/Ninja, MSI K9A Plat., 3gb ram (for the time being), X1900GT w/HR-03, Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 550, 160gb HD Seagate, U4 Rack mountable case. See the wood case here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vi ... 233#319233