Bittorrent uploading too?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Bittorrent uploading too?

Post by Trip » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:51 pm

I want to download the latest naruto episodes as they come out, but bittorrent seems to upload my files as well as download the files I want.

My question is: is bittorrent safe?

Rather than spend hours looking into it, I figure I'm better off asking folks with experience :P Thanks for any answers.

nzimmers

safe.....

Post by nzimmers » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:17 pm

well, by asking if it's safe....do you mean safe from being hacked/ or do you mean safe from prosecution?

no P2P method is safe from getting caught for sharing illegally - but there are ways to limit your exposure

running a program like Peerguardian helps, also downloading content like naurto (which is probably not even on the MPAA or RIAA's radar) is also a factor.

downloading a new movie off something like limewire is a big risk.

downloading TV episodes is a pretty grey area, at this time, I am not sure of anyone being prosecuted for doing so.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:45 pm

As nzimmers pointed out, prosecution and legality are always issues with downloading video, but there's nothing wrong with bittorrent technology. By its nature, it only uploads what you are currently downloading; there's no shared folder or search functions built into bittorrent. It won't upload your tax records, if that's what you're worried about.

Because bittorrent is an open source protocol, the risk of adware/malware is quite low, but there are hostile clients out there. You're best of sticking with either Azureus, uTorrent, or the "official" bittorrent client. Any of these are widely used and are not going to compromise your data.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:47 pm

As a side note, I find that, if you're willing to wait, the fansubs by AonE are better than the Dattebayo subs ... but I'm not sure how often they release new episodes these days.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:58 am

By its nature, it only uploads what you are currently downloading; there's no shared folder or search functions built into bittorrent. It won't upload your tax records, if that's what you're worried about.
Spot on what I was concerned about.

Also, I was a little concerned with hackers, but if there is no shared folder, then it should be mostly safe. I hadn't even considered legal issues; I'd just assumed translated versiona were the property of the translator. Meh, the feds won't come after a tadpole like me.

Dattebayo subs are good enough. I've become a big Naruto fan and want an English version as soon as it's released :P I'm searching your other site though for anything I haven't seen.

There aren't really any other anime or tv shows (maybe Stargate SG-1) I like other than naruto. What other anime shows do you like?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:40 am

The last time I used a bittorrent engine, the downloaded files went into their own shared folder and those files were available for upload unless you turned upload off. This is the primary benefit of bittorrent - many people provide a little bit of upload bandwidth so that you can download quickly.

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:54 am

Initial D. It's not bad even if you aren't a car nut, but i suppose you get a lot more out of it if you love cars. It's not F&F style crap, it's reasonably realistic and even somewhat educational, and very addicting. If you are interested you can get em here

The first time i used Bittorrent was when downloading world wind off NASAs site a few years ago.. They don't seem to offer torrents any more :roll:

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:17 am

I just began downloading first stage. I'll post my thoughts in a day or so (whenever downloading finishes)

I prob prefer fantasy to reality but I'll like initial d if it's done well.

The English translations of Naruto on American TV don't seem to be done well. I guess "believe it" is similar to Naruto's dattebayo (his own style/dialect of speaking), but some of the Japanese cultural parts shouldn't have been Americanised I thought.

floffe

Post by floffe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:34 pm

CA_Steve wrote:The last time I used a bittorrent engine, the downloaded files went into their own shared folder and those files were available for upload unless you turned upload off.
Well, only the files mentioned in the torrents you have open (in 99.9% of cases the ones you're downloading or have downloaded). Other random files in this directory is not, like the ones where you have stopped the torrent file, and possibly deleted it too.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:03 pm

My first recommendations to anyone new to Anime are always Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. Both are more on the fantasy side of things ... and are a bit more adult than Naruto, which is basically a kids show. If you like dark, violent & chaotic, Hellsing is pretty good, as is Elfen Lied. Light, crazy comedy: Ranma 1/2. Thought provoking / somewhat disturbing looks at technology: Ghost in the Shell. Chobits also gets points for touching on tech issued, but it's a bit too cutesy to introduce to Anime firsttimers. Anyone spot any I've missed?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:28 am

Ghost in a Shell is kinda thought provoking. Perhaps if I saw it in a series rather than a few random shows over the years on tv I'd like it better, but as is it seems like Star Trek. Star Trek annoys me because it pretends to think deeply and doesn't. Ghost might be a little better than Star Trek though; lol Star Trek is just aweful. I was a fan of it in high school too... (meaning I watched it occasionally on tv. "fan" is not a euphemism for fanatic here...)

Cowboy Bebop is pretty good.

Trigun... horrible lol absolutely horrible.

Bleach was recommended to me, but I haven't seen it.

Naruto is a kids show, but it's still great. The principles taught are sound, and the shows are entertaining and funny. I can't remember getting addicted to a TV show like I did with Naruto; I know it's designed for that (hype), but it's still kinda surprising.

If the characters were older, say young adults, I'd like it a little better yea.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:43 am

I don't pretend to be an expert on anime, nor do I plan to be one, but I certainly used to enjoy watching Lupin III, don't know how popular that is in the states...

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:09 am

Yea I only know what comes on cartoon network late at night.

Lupin is funny :D I haven't seen many episodes, but I liked what I saw.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:58 am

I've seen a few episodes of bleach now. It's alright, and inuyasha is one other that wasn't mentioned.

Still downloading Initial_D

Thanks for all of the responses by the way. Also, bittorrent seems to only uploads torrents that are on my computer. I can actually remove any torrents I don't want uploaded, and I did find a way to prevent any uploading though this invites a sharp penalty on my download rate.

It's a great little program.