SATA drives shown as removable?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Anvar
*Lifetime Patron*

SATA drives shown as removable?

Post by Anvar » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:30 am

I just built my new rig and it is SWEET. :D

But for some reason my hdd and dvd-writer (both SATA) show up in the safely remove hardware thingy in the system tray. Since I'm not going to remove them, is there any way I can get them to disappear from that list?

Thanks in advance.

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Re: SATA drives shown as removable?

Post by mr. poopyhead » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:14 pm

Anvar wrote:I just built my new rig and it is SWEET. :D

But for some reason my hdd and dvd-writer (both SATA) show up in the safely remove hardware thingy in the system tray. Since I'm not going to remove them, is there any way I can get them to disappear from that list?

Thanks in advance.
there may be a setting in your SATA controller driver to turn hot-swapping off. try going to device manager and opening up the SATA controller options.

Anvar
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Anvar » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Unfortunately not. But I found out it's Nvidia SATA drivers doing it by design. There's nothing to do about it. Oh, well, you win some, you lose some.

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:08 pm

my motherboard BIOS has a setting for the SATA channel to emulate PATA. by turning off AHCI mode and emulating PATA, you won't have hot swapping anymore. you also lose the other SATA features like NCQ.

if the remove devices icon is bothering you that much, you can always try the above setting.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:31 pm

In you taskbar settings you can also have Windows hide inactive icons, and then manually set that particular one to inactive. At least that way it won't be cluttering up your taskbar.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:39 pm