Anyone think that DirectX10 will be hacked to work on XP?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GamingGod

Anyone think that DirectX10 will be hacked to work on XP?

Post by GamingGod » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:14 pm

Im just curious about this because Vista looks useless to me. Its slower, plus more money and I really dont care about aero or whatever. So I would be perfectly happy to keep using xp if I can get the new direct X's as they come out. Does anyone think that someone will make a hacked version to run on xp because as I understand it, microsoft is basically trying to make gamers move to vista by not making future Direct X available on XP.

geekbanter

Post by geekbanter » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:48 pm

I have heard some rumors that the developers of WINE (windows emulator for other OSs, and don't gimme that Wine Is Not an Emulator guff :) ) might create a compatability layer that would allow DirectX 10 games to work on Windows XP. I don't know how that would be done, or if it would be done, but it is a possibility. DirectX 10 is cool and all, but I don't see any immediate need to upgrade to Vista. In fact I would be willing to bet that by the time games begin to require directx 10 that a solution will be available for xp.

BTW, if WINE does come to the rescue I'll be really happy, I won't need to reboot into Windows to run may games anymore :D