Lavender Oil Is For Girls

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Lavender Oil Is For Girls

Post by andyb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:11 am

And only Girls.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6318043.stm

This is amusing and disturbing, but not surprising as we still dont know enough about the planet we live on, and what Plants and other matter can do to you.

Andy

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:56 am

andyb wrote: And only Girls.

Hey! You're not being particularly PC today! Let's not forget about biologically male transexuals. They need tits too.

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:54 am

A good reminder to those who are dedicated to homeopathic/natural remedies. Natural doesn't always mean safe!

nici

Post by nici » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:06 am

Yikes :shock:

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:12 pm

A single anecdote is pretty thin evidence. How did they identify Lavender and Tea Tree oils among every other factor in their shared environment?

I think we would have heard many more reports of this if these oils were the only cause of young boys growing tits. That's not exactly a common occurrence, but my impression is that these oils are quite commonly used.

On a related note, are there any reports of prepubescent girls growing breasts like this?

Do I have a subconscious desire to grow tits if I find myself attracted to girls who wear lavender oils?

student

Post by student » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:33 pm

I wonder how fat they were?

Food additives, pesticides and plastics are supposed to mimic estrogen in the body too. I remember reading an article that blamed these for a 50% drop in sperm count since the 1960's.

Prepubescent girls who have enough estrogens circulating through their systems will go through puberty so the effect of the oils will get masked. ie. everyone will think it is natural and they are early developers.

Devonavar, a yes on your last question. Its the male equivalent of penis envy!

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:02 pm

This is not good science. As Devonavar said, why only three cases when these oils are so widely used. Scientific literature is blemished by untold numbers of studies that only take into consideration a much too limited number of factors.

Plus -- those oils were only used topically, on the skin, where absorption is low, if any, and only present in the small amounts used in these preparations. There actually is a plant, the Vitex or Chaste Tree plant (so-called because it was used by monks to dampen sexual desire), that both contains phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) and also antagonizes testosterone, and has been known to promote breast growth in men, but only with the ingestion of a large amount for a lengthy period of time. Phytoestrogens, BTW, are present in hundreds of plants, a considerable number of which are commonly used. Beer is estrogenic (the hops). If you're a macho man it won't slow ya down none.

:)

nici

Post by nici » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:08 pm

Kind of like when research tells you that french fires causes cancer, if you eat two kilos a day.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:10 pm

research tells you that french fires cause cancer
Well they will if you inhale the smoke. :wink:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Im glad you lot think that this is funny, this is very serious.

Just think of the envy of the average Bankok ladyboy who is totally flat, they are going to be so upset when they find out about this, and they are going to cry like a little ladyboy to thir mum as to why they didnt get the Lavender Oil treatment as a kid.

Andy

PS: Did you hear about Apple pips being poisionous...... if you eat a cup a day.......... "No Shit Sherlock".

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:33 am

andyb just wrote:Im glad you lot think that this is funny, this is very serious.
andyb originally wrote:This is amusing...
:D