What is your favorite noise?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Devonavar wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by a "perfect" definition. If you mean unambiguous, you'll have to look long and hard to find many perfect definitions in any natural language... and I'd question why you would expect a perfect definition to exist.
By 'perfect' I was meaning a definition that the general public knows off the top of their heads. Like the definitions for 'shoe' or 'wood'.
The fact is that "noise" is frequently used to refer neutrally to sound, and this meaning is commonly understood. Clear writing should use context to ensure that it's understood when noise is unwanted and when it's not, but there's no obligation to prefer one definition over another, or even to write clearly.
Quite true!
I personally like to keep 'noise' reserved for the subset of sounds that are undesirable.
But generally speaking, you're correct, most people will use noise and sound interchangeably. Does that mean that the two words are the same?
I don't think so.
On a related note, you should be aware that, no matter how much we at this site insist that "silent" means "the absence of noise [1b]", a conventional usage of "silent" refers to "very little noise [1b]" as well. For this reason, our resticted usage of the term counts as technical language. We get a bit annoyed when people misuse our technical term, but we can only dictate the conventional usage within our community, not within society at large.
I'm glad you brought this up. Because basically what we have here is another word that doesn't live up to its theoretical definition :).

In the context of sounds/noise, silent means the 'absence' of sound/noise.
It doesn't mean the 'partial absence' of sound/noise.

There is really no such thing as absolutely silent or very silent. Just as there is no such thing as absolutely pregnant or very pregnant.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:52 pm

well, if you take a look at my post and the one following it:

viewtopic.php?t=37913#318140

, that pretty much justifies the usage of the term "noise" to me. on the one hand, I love the sound, but I knew many people would see it as unwanted noise, and alas, my fears were proven correct :D

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:19 pm

NoiseFreeGuy wrote:Does that mean that the two words are the same?
I don't think so.
I don't think so either. I didn't say that I did. I do, however, think they overlap in meaning. By the 1b usage of "noise", they are synonyms, but because the 1a usage never applies to "sound", they are not identical. The words aren't as distinct as you seem to want.

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:53 pm

Devonavar wrote:
NoiseFreeGuy wrote:I don't think so either. I didn't say that I did. I do, however, think they overlap in meaning. By the 1b usage of "noise", they are synonyms, but because the 1a usage never applies to "sound", they are not identical. The words aren't as distinct as you seem to want.
I agree that most people use noise and sound interchangeably.

But for someone who's been in the 'noise business' so-to-speak for over a dozen years, I really looked into the anatomy of these words carefully. It's my nature to do homework on things I'm really interested in.

I learned about the origins of the word 'noise' and how it came to its modern day meanings.

As more and more people become aware of the sounds around them and begin to recognize those that are unnecessary/disturbing/harmful (noises), then our soundscape will take a turn for the better.

It will take time however.

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:04 pm

Interesting that Finnegan's post a couple of years ago on this same subject, had a different, more appropriate title:

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:46 am Post subject: Sounds You Love

I would be satisfied with titles such as:
- Sounds you love
- Sounds you hate
- Noises you hate
- Noises you don't hate too much
- Noise you don't mind very much
- Noises that are barely disturbing

I think you get my point. :)

Beyonder

Re: What is your favorite noise?

Post by Beyonder » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:11 pm

nici wrote:Since this site generally focuses on noises we hate and how to avoid that, im curious about what noise don't mind or actually like to hear.
Great question. I like:
  • The sound of a large, floorstanding fan I have in my bedroom. Actually, to be honest, I have a hard time sleeping without it on. It's a pretty slow fan, but very audible: basically, it provides white noise through the night.
  • The ocean. GF's family has a cottage in cape cod, and the sound/smell of sea air is really refreshing. Even better at night with the windows down.
  • Ducati motorcycles. Not sure how they're tuning those, but they have a really distinctive "growl" that excites me. I don't own a motor cycle, but were I to buy one...
  • My cat. Except when she's hungry and attempt to step on my head while I sleep.
  • Windy nights while backpacking. Love the noise from inside the tent.

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:13 pm

andyb wrote:flyingsherpa, how can you be mostly vegetarian, you either are or are not a vegetarian.
Having been a vegetarian for the last seven years, it's never that cut and dry. ;)

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:04 am

nici wrote: I also like engines, loud engines. Especially the rough idle noise of a tuned big block V8, and a highly tuned italian supercar accelerating, flying thru the gears. That sends chills down my spine, and i get a big silly grin on my face just hearing it =) I might actually start laughing and people nearby think i am nuts, and they would be very right :P
I love engines too. For me it's rumbling, throaty V8s, or motorcycles, like v-twin powered Harleys or other cruisers. I like train whistles, too.

Natural sounds are great, like thunder, wind, or insects in the evening. Or people getting it on... :lol:

Dress shoes on a hard floor sound very smart, as does typing. But I only like hearing my own typing, not others. I guess I associate it with being productive, which is good.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:28 am

disphenoidal wrote:Natural sounds are great, like thunder
Yeah, gotta love thunder, I love the sound windows make, when the shock wave of thunder hits them.
insects in the evening.
Even mosquitos? Because that sound is probably the thing I hate most in summer, I can't sleep, if I have even one mosquito flying in my room...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:13 pm

Babies cooing.