Would you get a 'all in one +fax' or do faxing via software?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

niels007

Would you get a 'all in one +fax' or do faxing via software?

Post by niels007 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:24 pm

Hey guys,

I'm too 'young' to ever have been impressed by the poor old Fax machine. A friend of mine is starting a small business and faxing is still pretty common as a business communication tool.

I wonder if anyone has experience with things like www.efax.com which offer a software way for 11 euro per month + 9 cents per fax.

Are there any drawbacks to this method?

Hope to hear from some of your experiences!

Regards,
Niels

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:52 pm

Hello Niels,

I use Symantec's WinFAX to receive fax's when necessary, and I used to send stuff that way, too. Now I make a PDF and email it, or scan it and send a PNG.

It's up to you -- if you get them on your computer, you can just look at them on the screen, or print it if you need it on paper. I find that it is more useful on the computer, more often than not.

If you have a phone line that you can dedicate to use for faxing, then that way is viable, too.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:09 am

I've found WinXP's own inbuilt fax facility works very nicely, although as Neil says it's more convenient if you have a dedicated fax line. That would also be true for a standalone fax machine though.

You'll need a fax modem of course, but AFAIK that means more or less any dialup modem these days, and they're ten a penny. :)

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:32 am

Adding to the previously posted:

I would suggest a cheap fax/modem card for the PC.

1. It's cheaper than any fax machine.
2. You only need print out what you need, saving on thermal/plain paper.
3. You turn the PC off at night meaning you don't receive all the unsolicited crap overnight!!! :D

If you're in the U.K. go to the 'Fax Preference' website and and add the fax no. to the list. This should stop a lot of the crap fax's after a while.

I have a customer that uses a similar email/fax service that you refer to and they are happy with it.

Hope this helps
Pete