Irritating messages

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dfrost

Irritating messages

Post by dfrost » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:02 am

Am I the only one that gets irritated by forum responses written in in "text message speak?" It seems acceptable in the frenzy of overclocking forums, but less so in the calm, mature environment of SPCR.

What's so hard about spelling out "you," "please," or "to" when you're using a full keyboard?

But I'm almost used to "quiet" being misspelled as "quite," and no, my typing is far from perfect.

niels007

Post by niels007 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:29 am

Agreed.. If I may sound like "grumpy old men" (a BBC must watch!) for a moment, the level of writing has really gotten a lot worse since the Yahoo Silent PC group days.

I used to think it was a consequence of broadband internet becoming more and more widely available. While this was a good development, it made people take 'the net' for granted and it was no longer a 'special place' as such. I also think that, compared to say the year 2000, the relative percentage of students / higher educated people has dropped. This definitely can't be held against everybody but on a whole this effect is noticable.

However, these days it seems youngsters in general just do not have the ability to write anymore. I'm only 27 and back when I went to school we had to write essays, where the writing style was judged.. These days I bet kids still have to write the odd one but in these vibrant "1337" days I guess teachers are happy if a few sentences make any sense at all.

Verbal and writing skills of the average 10..18 y/o just seem to be worse than they where 10 years ago. I wouldn't like the thought of owning a company and having to hire those guys/girls in 10 years.

Although time can sort a lot of things out.. :)

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:01 am

To be honest, it's never really bothered me. I kind of like the informality of online message boards. I think most people who communicate like idiots on the internet do so because they just don't care, not because that's all they're capable of.

One of my biggest pet peves on an internet message board is when somebody mispells a word and the spelling nazis jump down their throat. It just annoys the crap out of me, because a minor mispelling generally won't effect anything (half the time I overlook them, you know a word is supposed to be spelled a certain way and your brain just kind of automatically interprets it as the correct spelling if you're not paying much attention), but people have to make themselves feel all high and mightly by pointing out others' mistakes. For what it's worth, I've known some very intelligent people who just can't spell worth a crap. Doesn't make them stupid or anything, just bad spellers. Who cares, as long as they can effectively communicate their ideas?

</rant> :D

nici

Post by nici » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:26 am

Teh inter-wub sux, basically. If someone knows how to express the point of view you are typing from without the use of complicated sentence structures or excessive use of smilies, let me know. I'm only 21, and IMO the current teens look like a disaster in pretty much every aspect. And since tis be an internets forum, sum1 will be offended by me saying this. But then again even the ancient romans thought the "youth of today" was horrible, and the human race isn't extinct yet.

qviri

Post by qviri » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:02 pm

To be honest, it's never really bothered me. I kind of like the informality of online message boards. I think most people who communicate like idiots on the internet do so because they just don't care, not because that's all they're capable of.
Quoted for truth.

Oh and it's definitely not the falling percentage of students. Being enrolled at an institution of higher learning, I can tell you that people around definitely use the txtspk. Like frostedflakes said, it's usually not that they don't know how to spell out words in full, it's that they don't feel it's necessary to. Since it's intelligible, especially so to the person they are directing the communication towards, they do have a point.

It is out of place on a forum like SPCR, of course. But they don't necessarily realise that. This is the wonders of internets hard at work... if they could see you face to face, most of them would act in a manner you'd consider more appropriate.
Although time can sort a lot of things out..
Don't count on it. There's stupid old people. There's also smart young people.

Erssa

Re: Irritating messages

Post by Erssa » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:58 pm

dfrost wrote:Am I the only one that gets irritated by forum responses written in in "text message speak?" It seems acceptable in the frenzy of overclocking forums, but less so in the calm, mature environment of SPCR.

What's so hard about spelling out "you," "please," or "to" when you're using a full keyboard?

But I'm almost used to "quiet" being misspelled as "quite," and no, my typing is far from perfect.
I don't really see this as a problem here at SPCR. But I know that back in the days when I used to play more computer games, all that mattered was that you typed your messages as fast as possible. That meant I got used to using lots of acronyms and abbreviations. It was a hard habit to shake off, I had to counciously think what I was typing so I wouldn't type U instead of you etc.

I'd much rather have more people typing here in 1337, then have more spelling/grammar nazis. After all, this is an international community and imo it's unreasonable to expect that everyone here writes good english.

Edit: I just realized I used abreviation (imo) in my post. It came so naturally, that I didn't even notice...

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:34 pm

i use some slang on here but im dont go over board with it i mean if i say you i might say "you" or "u" and if i say some one i might say "sum1" , "sum one" or some one... not because i dont know how to spell then its just how i type... and thats how its with just about all the people i talk to, although i am a horrible speller

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:57 am

As for misspelling words:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

That being said, I HATE when people just write off the cuff, grammatically-incorrect sentences, with misspelled words, and no punctuation. I treat message boards as I would someone in person who asked me for advice. If I wanted them to think I was work trusting, I would speak clearly, concisely, and grammatically-correct; not with a bunch of misused words or a bunch of "umms", "like's," and "y'know's."

I understand that if you're using a cellphone to text someone on a number pad it is cumbersome and time-consuming to type in all the characters, but when each letter has it's own button on a keyboard, USE THEM!!!

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:18 pm

ok im sure that every one here uses slang... let me ask you have u ever said PSU or HS or HSF or MB or HD? so we all use slang to some extent

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:42 pm

PopCorn wrote:PSU
power supply unit
or HS or HSF
heat sink, heat sink and fan.
or MB
motherboard. This one is a valid point.
or HD?
hard drive
so we all use slang to some extent
Your examples are mostly initialisms. You cannot claim that "u" for "you" or "r" for "are" are initialisms.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:54 pm

Those are acronyms. Or maybe they are initialisms like qviri said, i don't quite get the difference between the two.

No wait, mobo is an acronym. MB is an initialism.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:58 pm

yea but what i meant is that we all dont type things out the entire way... so why is typing psu ok and typing "u" isnt...

nici

Post by nici » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:18 pm

PSU is an initialism, and so it's an acceptable word. You wont find "u" in a dictionary, not yet at least. It's kind of like banging your sister, technically possible but that doesn't mean you should do it :mrgreen:

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:02 pm

I work in aerospace engineering, where initialisms and acronyms are rampant. Too often the assumption is that others in the industry will know the meaning of ASD, WER, JKL, etc. (those are random letters!), and that is often not true, even within a single project. Definitely breaks down communication!

I can sympathise with, and am equally guilty using what I hope are common initialisms for the audience (MB, PSU, NB), and fall prey to a level of txtspk (IMHO, BTW). But I have yet to figure out what "1337" means!

What was my point?

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:31 pm

1337 = leet = elite

nici

Post by nici » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:32 pm

I stopped playing first person shooter computer games online over the internet before elite speak became the norm. Herein lies the answer to thy question.

edit: damn, im too slow.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:32 pm

Thank you for the elucidation! now i cn b 1337 2

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:59 pm

oh noes

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:35 am

Yea it bugs me though I haven't run into it too much

I don't like when people talk like that either.

Anything connected to mindless mass culture bugs me though. E.g. the buying by men of brand new, very nice, quasi-female jeans with holes in them.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:40 pm

i also hate those jeans... i earn my holes the hard way though work and leabor (works in a welding/ sheet metal shop) and now u pay MORE to get pants with holes in them.... what is the United stated coming to?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:00 pm

?? I haven't seen those. Who is buying torn jeans?

I was horrified enough when I accidentally tried on a pair of low rise jeans "for men" last year. I'm very happy that trend seems to have disappeared.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:24 pm

My roommate for one though he gets enough girls to prove he's straight. One of his friends also dresses trendy though both are foreign and his friend I'm not so sure is entirely straight.)

I see some others with similar trendy expensive/trashy/unisex clothes around.

For Christmas my aunt gave me a pair of trendy jeans (no holes though). I told her two different lines:

1. despite what my sister told you, I'm not gay...
2. these are too cool for me... didn't my sister tell you I'm a dork? (she and I play pranks on each other a bit or at least used to)

I left them at my parents' house. I might put them up for sale on ebay (as brand new not as "Trip's used jeans - ladies, they've been on my bum")

nici

Post by nici » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:57 pm

So im not crazy after all :lol:

I have burned a hole in one pair of pants with an angle grinder, it was a nice spark shower and i thought it was comfortably warm :P And some of my jeans have no color left where i have my phone and my wallet.

I buy clothes that fit me, if they happen to be big brand stuff then it is, but i don't wear that stuff exclusively, and i dont want them to have huge logos. Possibly with one exception, i still think Dainese and Troy Lee Designs is cool because i used to wear their gear while racing bikes. I suppose that's making a statement, but so is i don't give a shit :lol:

The shoes i wear every day are four years old.

OH, H00ls in teh J34n5 is teh r0x0rZ-!!1

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:25 pm

I don't care what people wear mostly but some things like the new jeans with holes bug me. I'm not entirely aware of what I don't like, but I don't like it nevertheless. Well I think it's several things, and it'd take up some space...

I wear lots of things that are worn out too, but they didn't get holes at the store.

nici

Post by nici » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:33 pm

Yeah i think it's weird too, but it doesn't bother me if someone wants to do that. If i was in the clothing business and people wanted to buy holes, i wuold make them. I wonder if anyone would want to buy the hole from a donut?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:54 pm

Your donut shops don't sell donut holes? Barbarians!

Behold a marvel of American culture!

qviri

Post by qviri » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:55 pm

nici wrote:I wonder if anyone would want to buy the hole from a donut?
Canadians. It's called Timbits.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:32 pm

Trip wrote:Your donut shops don't sell donut holes? Barbarians!

Behold a marvel of American culture!
Mmmmmmm.......deelicious. dunkin' donuts sells these as "Munchkins", I haven't had them in sooooooo long....

nici

Post by nici » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:36 pm

Never seen those before.. Nobody eats donuts around here really. We do have the holes from dark rye bread though :P You learn something new every day, i clicked the link on the page i just linked, and found the Finnish Food Network.

floffe

Post by floffe » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:18 am

I've bought one pair of jeans with holes in. They were on sale ($10) and I needed more jeans *shrug*