Please help! Intel ICH8R -> BSoD

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

npp

Please help! Intel ICH8R -> BSoD

Post by npp » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:31 am

I must admit that I own a SATA drive for the very first time now; It didn't make any sense for me until I bought an Asus P5B-VM mATX system board, which has only got one ATA connector... So my experience with SATA driver-related problems isn't that big, you see.

My problem is fairly straightforward: even though I have used F6 to install Intel's AHCI drivers during WinXp setup, and even though I see the Intel 82801HR SATA AHCI Controller installed in Device Manager (the driver is iastor.sys, as it should be), the system locks up with the 07B BSoD as soon as I attach my SATA drive to any of the four ports provided by the controller.

For that reason, I'm using the JMicron port instaed, and it seems to work fine. However, I would like to have this issue resolved... Any help is highly appreciated!

npp

Post by npp » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:58 am

It seems that the iastor.sys driver is causing some problems on some systems, as a google search would suggest. I've also got a notebook featuring Intel's 945GM chipset and the SATA controller uses the same driver (even same version), but without any issues. So maybe the driver just doesn't come up right with the ICH8R southbridge, who knows.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:59 am

Did you try installing it without the driver?

npp

Post by npp » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:23 am

Yes, it works and there is no need to install additional drivers, since the southbridge is ICH8, and not ICH8R... Guess who's the idiot now :)