Doom3 Or Quake 4

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PopCorn

Doom3 Or Quake 4

Post by PopCorn » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:27 pm

Does anyone here play Doom3 or Quake4...?

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm

I have both. Somehow, I never seem able to finish a single player game _ever_, too much involved in online games (older games).

Doom3 is a good single player game (based mainly on other people's opinions, I haven't finished 25% of it I think) but multiplayer is dead.

Quake4 is still struggling but doing far better then Doom3. The patches have been helping things a lot, pro gamers are very involved in the game (there are a fair few top lan events with prizes for it) which in turn draws more people to the game, and the Q4Max mod is doing good as well.

id software has had a mapping competition going, the best maps will be included in the new patch.

The game's community of the game I've played up till now is decreasing fast, I'll switch to Q4.
Personally, I think the best FPS multiplayer game has been out for a few years now, still a strong (although slowly diminishing) community, with people playing, mapping, tricking, competing on defrag maps and making movies of it all.

At some point, eye candy doesn't matter too much anymore (most players will tune down the high details for better fps/visibility after the initial oohs and aahs) and it all comes down to gameplay.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:44 pm

yea.. thats what happens to me i also own both doom3 ill play at night when im bored and after i beat Q4 i never played single player so then i played it online and stopped.... gonna start playing them again once my 8800gt comes in on monday....

and about the graphics.. yea i have a reallllly old pc game called Crimson Skies (now they have it for xbox) iv had that game forever anf iv beat it countless times and continue to play it.... but to be honest the graphics in it really sux... that or it was my video card... at the time i was using a x4400... (it was also my last card...) but untill monday no gaiming forme but once it comes in....

some of my favorite games have shitty graphics.. MechWarrior, Mech Commander....hell i still play the orgianl doom and quakes... and if u ever played it ull never for get Duke Nukem!!!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:45 am

I like Quake 4, never tried Doom's... Yeah I know I am weirdo :P

Costello

Post by Costello » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:20 pm

Haven't played Doom 3 in a while, mostly just playing CS right now, but Doom 3 very fun game, still impressed by the graphics several years later