Silent computing IRC channel(s)?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Justin T. Arthur

Silent computing IRC channel(s)?

Post by Justin T. Arthur » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:09 pm

Hey guys,
Is there an IRC channel for Silent PC Review, or at least one for silent computing enthusiasts?

Thanks!
- Justin

derekchinese

Post by derekchinese » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:31 pm

The SPCR forums are not satiating your hunger for silent computing? haha

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:16 am

There's no "official" SPCR IRC channel, but several unofficial ones have been created over the years. The idea seems to come up about once every 6 months, someone makes a channel, there's limited chat on it for a few day/weeks, and then it slowly fades away.

If you do a search for "IRC" you'll find the 4 or 5 previous attempts. You could try looking for any of the channels mentioned in those threads to see if they are still active. (you'll get >50 search results; just look for the topics in the listing that have "IRC" in the title)

If you want to try your hand at creating a new channel just post its name and server here and I'll make it a sticky somewhere..maybe that will keep it alive longer.

Justin T. Arthur

Post by Justin T. Arthur » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:49 pm

Rusty075 wrote: If you want to try your hand at creating a new channel just post its name and server here and I'll make it a sticky somewhere..maybe that will keep it alive longer.
Sounds like a plan, Rusty; let's give it a whirl:
#SilentPCReview on chat.serenia.net

How to chat:
To connect from a Java-enabled web browser, click here to chat.

If you have Mozilla Firefox or Seamonkey, you can use the embedded chat client, ChatZilla to chat with us. After installation, point to [url]irc://chat.serenia.net/silentpcreview[/url] to be instantly connected.

Alternative IRC clients for the desktop include:

floffe

Post by floffe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:03 pm

Could we get a sticky here? So far I have seen 4 names in the channel, including myself.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:07 pm

Added a new thread in the Announcements forum. No real need to sticky anything in there...there's only 5 threads. I basically copy/pasted Justin's post...if anyone has anything they think should be added to the announcement either post it in here or in the announcement thread and I will incorporate it into the first post so everyone will be able to find it.

floffe

Post by floffe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:54 am

Colloquy (For Mac OS X) (Free) for those mac users out there, maybe.