Hardware Laser TV to Take On Plasma and LCD

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:41 pm

When compared to plasma and LCD, laser TV technology boasts half the production cost, double the color range, and three-quarters less power consumption.
Rear projection televisions, by nature, are thicker than flat panels, but thanks to recent developments in the DLP market and the weight savings of laser technology, clever manufacturers may be able to put laser TVs on the wall too.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:27 pm

I sent this over to my Dad who is an expert on Lasers and is keeping an eye on the Laser TV technology. Pretty much said they won't have a low enough price to make it worthwhile for several more years

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:23 pm

awe, that's too bad. I've got a 20 year old CRT TV in my living room atm :lol: It still works perfectly, so maybe it'll last till the Age of Lasers.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:34 am

In the meantime, LED DLP rear projection is the same thing but using much less expensive LEDs. Samsung has a 1080p model which is already comparable to the traditional lamp/colorwheel versions in both image quality and price. It costs a little more initially, but the LEDs are expected to last the lifetime of the TV set. Considering the price of traditional replacement lamps, and the general annoyance of replacing the lamp, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:02 pm

That looks incredible, thanks. Color wheel free and mercury free to boot.

The supposed dramatic improvement in quality of picture and durability of set is what hooked me on the laser though. Well I thought I saw durability mentioned, but I don't see that atm. I'll check again in a minute. I'd like another TV that lasts 20 years though preferably one that doesn't produce as much radiation (most any modern TV doesn't I know).

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:38 am

If you want a TV to last 20 years, I wouldn't buy one that has some brand new technology. I don't care how promising the technology seems, if it hasn't been in actual mass use for more than 5 years, I don't trust it to work for 20 years ;)

Steep

Dr. Evil

Post by Steep » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:09 am

I love the use of the Dr. Evil "Laser" scene as the article thumbnail.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:12 am

Yeah, sorry, same thing about the LED displays. The color and brightness is just not there yet and they have to use sneeky tricks to make it work. The tech is not mature yet but it will get there. Just be patient.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:25 am

I don't know what sort of LED display you're talking about, but the Samsung HL-S5679W LED DLP TV looks fantastic. A friend of mine got one, and I didn't even know it wasn't a normal lamp-based DLP set. The only "trick" used to get it bright enough is that it uses something like 18 LEDs rather than just 3 (there are multiple red, multiple blue, and multiple green LEDs). Better that than a bulb which can burn out!

There are some more models of LED DLP rear projection in the pipeline, but even just the first Samsung models prove the technology has arrived. They're just as good as a traditional DLP set and not really more expensive.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Sylph-DS wrote:If you want a TV to last 20 years, I wouldn't buy one that has some brand new technology. I don't care how promising the technology seems, if it hasn't been in actual mass use for more than 5 years, I don't trust it to work for 20 years ;)
I guess you're right. Well, maybe my tv will last another 7 years :P

NeilBlanchard

Don't forget SED!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:25 pm

Greetings,

Don't forget SED (Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display)! If they can solve the production and cost issues, they will blow away most other TV monitors:

50,000:1 contrast ratio -- final shipping units may be 100,000:1
1ms response time
brightness of 450 cd/m2
less power usage than LCD
very wide viewing angles

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/sed-tv.htm
http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/sed_tvs.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-co ... er_display

But until (of if) the Canon SED actually comes out -- I've seen the 7,000:1 Sony Bravia LCD -- man they look awesome! For my money, it is maybe a little better than the 10,000:1 Panasonic plasma...