Eulogy for a "dead" big-fan case

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Felger Carbon

Eulogy for a "dead" big-fan case

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:07 pm

I just received two throw-away cases and I don't want to throw them away! But neither of us can buy any more from Newegg because they're sold out.

Newegg dropped the price of the Aplus CS-188AF case to $25. Since this case comes with the 7-blade version of the 220mm fan, I bought two (black), just for the fans.

But I like the case, even though it has a door on the front. It's thinner than an Xclio/Mio, 7.3" to 7.9". That means there's only 116-117mm over the CPU scket before you run into the fan. It's 3/4" shorter vertically than the Xclio/Mio. These look like small numbers, but the impression is a much smaller case. And the case itself (exclusive of bezel) is actually 7/16" longer than the Xclio/Mio cases!

I have a Coolermaster GeminII HSF, being actively cooled by two very slowly rotating Scythe 100mm fans. Very very quiet. And cool. That HSF would fit very well in this case, with room left over.

So I'm not going to throw the two cases away. I might even build one up and try it out as my #1 computer. That's on my left, and since the door is hinged on the left of the case, that works for me.

Too bad you can't buy one in the US of A, AFAIK. Especially for $25. :cry:

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:00 pm

Here's a couple of pics:

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:27 pm

How is the metal quality in these cases. I read some reviews that say they are thin and flimsy? Any vibration? Which case do you prefer?

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:42 pm

GamingGod wrote:How is the metal quality in these cases. I read some reviews that say they are thin and flimsy? Any vibration? Which case do you prefer?
I just received the Aplus cases today. I gave my initial impression. I've lived with the Xclio case for a while - it's made of 0.6mm steel, which I don't consider thin or flimsy. I don't allow any vibration for three reasons:

I remove the fan from the PSU.

I suspend the two HDDs and their spot-cooling 100mm fan.

I seriously undervolt the 220mm fan.

The quality of the Xclio metal is fine - good worksmanship, no sharp edges. I did notice a couple of sharp edges on the Aplus in out-of-the-way locations, such as around the mobo I/O plate, which should get filled in very early in any construction. But the major sheet metal on the Aplus is also has rolled edges like the Xclio.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:33 am

I usually save old cases for the metal.......I've found many useful pieces in otherwise throw-away computers. In fact, I pick up almost every old computer I see in the trash bins. If you're not into DIY projects, this sort of activity is useless however. A .06mm steel panel is too thin for me, but it makes good bracket material, sometimes with holes already cut in the right places. I'm still waiting for a high-quality case with one of these big fans....it's only a matter of time. There's really nothing magical about a big fan......only that it's quiet pushing a lot of air. It's size however, poses new problems for anyone attempting to construct an almost silent computer....