Narrow-band (dial-up) router........?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Narrow-band (dial-up) router........?

Post by Bluefront » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:28 pm

NewEgg link

Since broadband is not an option yet, I thought this Actiontec model might give me some benefits. I've found very little info about it. I've owned Actiontec products before, but it's been a while. Does anyone have any knowledge of this sort of product?

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:05 pm

Seems like just a dial up modem that lets you connect it to 2 computers with ethernet, rather than just 1 via usb/serial/pci.

St. Louis doesn't have teh fast3r intarweb yet?!!?

disphenoidal

Post by disphenoidal » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:28 pm

I don't think it works exactly like a router, so both computers are on the same collision domain. Which means that if both computers are trying to use the internet, each can only work at half speed.

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:08 am

I used to have a D-link modem-router, but I sold it when we got BB in 1999. Seemed to work fine - just configure in the phone number, user and password. Whenever it detected a request for the internet it dialled the serial modem...

That's not a router, so you'd be better served looking for one of those (ebay perhaps) if that's what you need...

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:32 pm

Yeah the Actiontec is not really a router......more like a simple dial-up modem with a LAN interface. I managed to find a few reviews. Most were ok, but there was one so good it sounded like it was written by the mfg. Still searching for more info. One guy said only one of his four connected computers could make the thing dial out..... :(

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:04 am

Wow.....I got one, and it works great (so far). The setup was easy, and the software interface a snap to use. I can start the dial-up from any connected computer, and once connected, all the computers on the LAN can access the internet.

If you have more than two computers to connect, you simply wire in another hub. Now if that hub is also a wireless access point, a remote computer with a wireless connection to your LAN, should also be able to use the dial-up the same way......but I haven't tried that yet.

My connection speeds vary a lot at this location, but I've been averaging about the same speeds as my other dial-ups. I'm happy with this thing so far. It frees up a PCI slot, and avoids the use of the serial port. I've never been impressed with USB modoms........this Actiontec looks to be the answer for a person who cannot get broadband.