K10 at 2.5 GHz beats QX6800 in multimedia

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

raziell

K10 at 2.5 GHz beats QX6800 in multimedia

Post by raziell » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:11 pm

Kaleid

Post by Kaleid » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:26 pm

I hope those numbers are correct. AMD needs a real winner ASAP.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:40 pm

Impressive if true. When are these chips supposed to hit the desktop market?

Chocolinx

Post by Chocolinx » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:16 pm

I hear fudzilla is a very poor review site. Like majority of their rumors never hold true.

niels007

Post by niels007 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:02 pm

Lets wait and see..
- one or two benchmarks isn't a good 'practical performance' indication
- when will they be out?
- how easy is it for Intel to counteract? 45nm on the horizon?

Based simply on the resources available, it seems to me that AMD's good fortune the last few years was a rare combination of bad choices at Intel coinciding (sp) with a good chip at AMD.. I doubt AMD's position will fundamentally change based on a few good years..

psiu

Post by psiu » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:43 pm

Well, I certainly hope that AMD can remain competitive....whether they can match Intel's performance remains to be seen, but "good" performance at a lower price will probably work as well--nothing wrong with being the quality budget brand. They desperately need to pick up the advertising though, I would have to believe their name recognition outside of the tech and financial markets is about zero.

It doesn't help that with the addition of ATI they are competing against another market leader as well (Nvidia)--what if K10 comes up short AND R600 comes up short?

I do think that the addition of ATI will help (especially with OEMs where they can offer a "complete" solution, specced and guaranteed to make performance and reliability marks) but in the meantime they need to get a handle on the financial mess and keep putting the fabs up--Intels true strength in my opinion, is their manufacturing infrastructure. They can just out produce AMD who can't even keep up with demand, if they can't guess who's there to fill in?