Intel/nVidia vs. AMD/ATI?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Slaugh

Intel/nVidia vs. AMD/ATI?

Post by Slaugh » Mon May 07, 2007 9:13 pm

I was waiting for this one...
Nvidia reportedly to trade technology for cooperation with Intel

Nvidia plans to release some of its graphics processor unit (GPU) technology to Intel in exchange for cooperation with the chip giant, according to sources at motherboard makers.

Nvidia has had discussions with Intel and has already reached several agreements for cooperation, noted the sources, adding that details of the agreements remain unknown.

Nvidia Taiwan declined to comment on the report.

Executives of Nvidia recently met with the company's partners in Taiwan to explain the company's plan in the motherboard market, pointed out the sources. With Intel pushing its GPU development again, Nvidia needs to be careful about trading its GPU technology with Intel in exchange for cooperation, added the sources.

Source: DigiTimes

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Mon May 07, 2007 10:35 pm

Yeah, but don't get too overexcited. Intel and nVidia have been cross-licensing for years, and last time I checked they're not one company yet. Cross-licensing just means that one company can make products that are compatible with another company's products. Most likely nVidia got rights to make core logic for Intel's future processors, and Intel got some intellectual property on some graphics technology. I wouldn't hold my breath for a merger announcement just yet...

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue May 08, 2007 2:59 am

nVidia needs a x86 license, and Intel needs GPU tech licenses. Both can build their targeted silicon, but the existing patents are blocking full development.

Update: it's not going that far, but still: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39492