Best Bluetooth headset[?]

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

djkest

Best Bluetooth headset[?]

Post by djkest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:00 am

I'm looking for a bluetooth headset for my new bluetooth enabled phone. I mainly plan on using this while driving in my car (finally decided to be safe!)

Criteria:
Easy to use
Good volume/clarity
Under $40 shipped (if possible)

I hear Motorolla and Planetronics make decent ones, but I'm sure someone here has experience with some of these.

Thanks!

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:12 am

I was with you until the "Under $40" criteria. IMO the good ones are all in the $80+ range. I Have a Logitech Cordless Freedom that I'm quite happy with. I've also have a Plantronics 655 (awful), and a Jawbone (expensive, kind of uncomfortable, and wildly inconsistant).
Fit is important, and is entirely subjective. Within your listed poricepoint, there don't seem to be a lot of choices.

djkest

Post by djkest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:34 am

Ha! Just found this one.... check out the reviews on it... 4.5 stars, one of the highest rated, and mountains of feedback.

Plantronics

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:16 pm

I got a Plantronics Voyager 815 a few weeks ago. The sound quality is excellent. The fit is only fair to good (it needs to come with an ear-piece in-between small and medium). The buttons are a little small and stiff for ease of use, but if they loosen up a bit with wear they will be good enough. The noise canceling seems to work well, but I haven't tested it rigorously yet. I also haven't tried the multipoint technology (automatically switch between paired devices) yet, despite this feature being the reason I went with this over some competing models. If it works as described in the user manual, I will be very happy! I agree with Klaatu about price. I paid just a hair under $80 after shipping. If you don't mind something klunky looking or with fewer features, there are perfectly good models under $50, but you get what you pay for and this is something you are going to use many times over the course of a few years (these things are damn easy to loose, though, that's what happened to my old headset after about 15 months of ownership). Fit is quite possibly the most important thing, right next to sound quality, and that will be totally subjective, unfortunately.