i still use windows xp on the desktop

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

i still use windows xp on the desktop

Post by dan » Mon May 12, 2014 5:34 am

i still use windows xp on the desktop, and i don't see much of a reason to upgrade

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: i still use windows xp on the desktop

Post by Vicotnik » Mon May 12, 2014 5:52 am

When you do, try Linux Mint (XFCE or MATE perhaps). Most of the applications we love (Firefox, VLC etc) and a GUI that's very much like the classic WinXP. And security upgrades, for free. :)

dan

Post by dan » Mon May 12, 2014 9:11 am

Vicotnik wrote:When you do, try Linux Mint (XFCE or MATE perhaps). Most of the applications we love (Firefox, VLC etc) and a GUI that's very much like the classic WinXP. And security upgrades, for free. :)
call me naive but if ur using a firewall antivirus etc i don't see much of a need for security updates. oh this used at home

HFat

Post by HFat » Mon May 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Some OS security updates are more important than a firewall (assuming the computer is NAT'ed, as most are), AVs and so forth.
The effectiveness of firewalls, AVs and so forth is generally overrated.

Application security updates are much more important.
So whatever you do, on XP the most important thing to do is to stop using IE or any software rendering arbitrary webpages with IE. Any other application that refuses to update because you're using XP ought to be dumped as well.
Microsoft seems to have released an IE patch for XP after the date at which they said they'd stop to. But that won't last forever...

Configuration and user behavior are also very important.
That stuff has become easier with certain XP service packs but has been even easier on newer versions of Windows for years. No change there.

dan

Post by dan » Tue May 13, 2014 9:49 am

HFat wrote:Some OS security updates are more important than a firewall (assuming the computer is NAT'ed, as most are), AVs and so forth.
The effectiveness of firewalls, AVs and so forth is generally overrated.

Application security updates are much more important.
So whatever you do, on XP the most important thing to do is to stop using IE or any software rendering arbitrary webpages with IE. Any other application that refuses to update because you're using XP ought to be dumped as well.
Microsoft seems to have released an IE patch for XP after the date at which they said they'd stop to. But that won't last forever...

Configuration and user behavior are also very important.
That stuff has become easier with certain XP service packs but has been even easier on newer versions of Windows for years. No change there.
hi well i still use office 2003, i don't care for ribbon.

i'm a little unclear about the need for security updates since i don't visit bad websites.

HFat

Post by HFat » Tue May 13, 2014 1:47 pm

What's a "bad website"?
If you visit sites such as SPCR, you are at risk. Google phpBB vulns or something. No doubt there are more dangerous sites (more popular forums for instance), but are you confident you know enough to tell what's safe from what's not?

Security updates are designed to prevent people who make use of bugs discovered by strangers from exploiting the software you use for their own purposes.
So you shouldn't use an out-of-date browser to access the average website. Because the averge website can be taken over by people who exploit known bugs. It's happend before and it'll happen again.
And so you shouldn't use and out-of-date word processor to open documents sent by the average computer user. Because the average computer can be infected and so can all the documents made on it. It used to happen all the time and while it seems like it happens less often nowadays, you can be it'll happen again.

If you don't like current versions of MS Office, you could try a free and mostly compatible alternative. It's a lot less trouble than trying a mostly incompatible free OS.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Wed May 14, 2014 1:15 am

Unless you use the system for gaming, or use some other "killer-app" that's only available for Windows, this is a perfect opportunity to give Linux a try. If you like the "old stuff" and don't fancy stuff like the ribbon system etc, I think Linux Mint would fit you perfectly. LibreOffice is up to date and have a kind of UI that you will recognize if you are used to the older MS stuff. Safer, even without antivirus software. What's not to like?

You don't have to make the switch all at once either. You could try LibreOffice on your current WinXP installation for example. Why use outdated non-free software when there are free alternatives out there that's better? For me that's a kind of MS love that makes even less sense than the kind that makes you crave all the new stuff, no matter if it happens to be Vista, Win8 or ribbons.

edh

Post by edh » Wed May 14, 2014 11:06 am

dan wrote:i don't visit bad websites.
Well obviously SPCR isn't one...

I have to question the relevance in the same way everyone else is. The other software you're using may be far more at risk. Windows XP can now be considered mature so even if it is not updated it still may be more secure than a more modern Windows with all of its new bugs. Plus, in terms of software support, virus authors are just as likely to be dropping support for an OS that few people might be running.

Switch to Linux when you find you need to upgrade!

washu

Post by washu » Wed May 14, 2014 1:51 pm

edh wrote:I have to question the relevance in the same way everyone else is. The other software you're using may be far more at risk. Windows XP can now be considered mature so even if it is not updated it still may be more secure than a more modern Windows with all of its new bugs. Plus, in terms of software support, virus authors are just as likely to be dropping support for an OS that few people might be running.
While you are correct that 3rd party software is the most likely cause of problems even on XP, your assertion that it could be more secure than newer versions is false. Vista and up have two very important security features that XP lacks: Not running as admin by default and ASLR. Those two features make security holes in 3rd party apps harder to exploit. XP can be run as non admin, but it is harder because it doesn't have any OS hooks to help poorly behaved applications.

Don't expect AV software to help, it is greatly overrated. Knowing what you are doing and having a secure OS & browser will be far more effective in stopping viruses than any AV.

Besides the security updates, if you have a reasonably modern PC (Core 2 and up) with enough RAM 7 and 8/8.1 are faster than XP. They even run well on even slower PCs if the HD isn't terrible and the video card is at least DX9. If you have more than 3 GB of RAM than the 64 bit versions of 7 or 8 are obvious choices over XP.

dan

Post by dan » Tue May 20, 2014 5:49 pm

my thinking right now is to continue as is until the pc crocks. as in i turn it on and it no longer powers.

then upgrade :)

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed May 21, 2014 3:24 pm

Dan, you do know that you can get W7 to look and feel amazingly like XP, and performance wise there is a point where you notice no difference, and then a more recent point where W7 is faster than XP. Stability wise I have found W7 to be the most reliable OS I have ever used.

As much as I loved XP and refused to Install W7 on my own machine for about the first year of its existence, there is no going back for me now. This leaves XP firmly in the position of my 2nd favourite OS, with various other some distance behind.

Andy

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed May 21, 2014 5:57 pm

As long as it works for what you want to do, stay with it. Personally i just enjoy windows 7 much more than XP.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu May 22, 2014 3:39 am

The only way I would say that I "enjoy" W7 more than XP is that because its much faster on my PC, and I get DX10/11 goodness. The only other part of W7 that comes close to "enjoyment" is the dead simple "Windows + arrow keys" that makes life so much simpler than sodding around resizing windows, other than that I have W7 setup to look and feel as much like XP as possible and I also installed classic shell to regain the "up folder" button in Windows Explorer.

Andy

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue May 27, 2014 8:58 am

I have not read the article, only the title.

Might be worth a look if you want to stick with XP.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/702 ... ates-2019/

Andy

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:16 am

In my personal opinion Windows 7 looks okay and many of the visuals are nice, but some are not. I hate ribbon, I hate the search function for files, I hate the redesign for the multi-window explorer for files, I hate a lot of things.

But I would not go back ever to Windows XP probably, simply because I'm done with it. I'm just better off looking for enhancements or alternatives to Windows 7, than to keep using XP. That's just my experience.

I encountered the same when I quit playing some game (Diablo 2) in favour of its sequel (Diablo 3) and after the switch I lost all appetite for the older game. There is simply no appeal to it anymore for me. This same thing has happened with Windows XP. I could not stomach the design anymore.

So while you (Dan) are insisting that you want nothing else, I'm pretty sure you are just convincing yourself that you are fine with XP while you would honestly like to taste a sweeter fruit.

With food, you can only starve yourself of tasty stuff for so long and your self and your body and your mind will start craving it. Decent, boring food is not enough. You definitely need the sweets and the tastes.

trodas

Post by trodas » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:07 pm

I was using Window XP on my main desktop computer too. Win7 for gaming machine(s) only. Rest are XP...

I wish I can run Win2k over WinXP, but at least XP... :mrgreen:

Behemot

Post by Behemot » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:02 am

There are free updates for XP! I mean POSReady 2009 :D

8300ati

Post by 8300ati » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:06 pm

One advantage of Windows 10 is that you can have a slideshow of all your favourite photographs as wallpaper.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:28 pm

8300ati wrote:One advantage of Windows 10 is that you can have a slideshow of all your favourite photographs as wallpaper.
7 has that too. MS' powertoy let you do that on xp.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:34 pm

dan wrote:i still use windows xp on the desktop, and i don't see much of a reason to upgrade
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

The only reason to move from one OS to another version is if it truly is an upgrade for you. This is why I am not moving from Win7 because Win8 SUCKS and then they brought out Win10 which made a bad thing worse.

WinXP would be useless for me because there are no drivers available for my hardware.

Behemot

Post by Behemot » Thu May 05, 2016 1:31 am

It's also funny how many ppl upgrade the other day when new OS cames out (for no reason really)…to often find there are no drivers for older HW. But even new HW based on older chips has no support for newest system. I've been just shopping some serial port controllers and the best they do is win 8. Yeah there are some with 10 support, but they cost 3times the price.

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Thu May 05, 2016 4:08 am

I still need to find out if my older soundcard will work. It was even hard to find Windows 8 drivers, as it is a product without a website these days.

It is possible though that the Windows 8 driver will just work.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:40 pm

this post makes me want to smash my face with a hammer.

there is no way he isnt full of trojans and all sorts of crap. XP is security nightmare and you can run 4 brand new virus cleaning programs and still be zombied.

rootkits, bad /no firewall, and xp gets worse every time you turn on the computer. Every boot makes the system go slower, every time, everything you do it gets slower and slower and more f'd up.

it was great coming from windows Me /98se, but that is not saying anything.

You want a cool program? Linux Zorin. I dont know what processor you have though, needs a decent (not ancient) one. It has full windows looking crap and can run windows things, has wine and all programs needed installed. No reason not to smash that computer with a sledgehammer though I am guessing. I have no love, I know.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Nec_V20 wrote:
dan wrote:i still use windows xp on the desktop, and i don't see much of a reason to upgrade
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

The only reason to move from one OS to another version is if it truly is an upgrade for you. This is why I am not moving from Win7 because Win8 SUCKS and then they brought out Win10 which made a bad thing worse.

WinXP would be useless for me because there are no drivers available for my hardware.
Xp is useless for anyone who has more than 2 gigs ram and a single core processor. It is a crappy crappy crappy program. I know this is a double post. HOwever, your win7, if 64 bit, is great. It just is slower in games and less secure by a little bit.

If you remove Cortana with a program easily found by searching for it, install Search Everything, and then install a text scaling program, you are better by far in speed, ease and of course more secure than windows xp-8.1. Windows 10 is fine. Just get the Pro 64bit version of it. Windows only had 2 good OS's, win7 and windows 10. Windows 10 can be made, first day you have it, to be like windows 7 but just much faster (instant searches, less overhead and ability to fully use SSD's safely/longevity.)

Behemot

Post by Behemot » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:56 am

Blah blah and more BS. XP x86-32 can easily use 3 gigs of RAM. There are shitloads of machines with about 3gigs of RAM which can still run many things. XP x86-64 which is actually 2003 server kernel with classic environment and some programs can use even more RAM and works fine.

I have two machines ATM on XP (PoS 2009), none of them are filled with trojans and who knows what. Maybe it takes not being an idiot to achieve that, try to think about that.

Pushing 10, ROFLMAO. The newer the OS, the less HW it supports. Ppl have shitloads of things which have NO drivers even for 7. Its worse with 8 and much worse with 10. Most things like serial, parallel and similar controllers now sold NEW in stores do not have drivers for 10 and who knows if they will ever have. Not to mention that system is crap as a whole. So gimme a break with that crap of yours!

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:14 pm

I never even had a single virus during all of the years of 95, 98, XP and beyond, except recently when I really wanted to sandbox something but I couldn't, and it installed a bunch of crap, but not really any virus. Having a virus or not is mostly a result of what applications you run, this is a choice you make, and hence XP can be as secure as anything.

I just consider the interface dated. Although it was more usable than Windows 7 and beyond, we have to keep moving.

Behemot

Post by Behemot » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:28 pm

I personally like simple and working interface. The only thing which Vista and beyond actually brought is more crap and the things I had by my hand are now burried deep under more crap. Just take for example the network adapters management. Now you have to click throguh some BS for idiot users instead of going to adapters right away.

XP was great. Vista/7 is worse but still manageable. Starting with 8 its pain in the ass for me. Thank you, I'll pass.

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:49 pm

I can't disagree.

Windows 7 networking is horrible to begin with. Windows 8 and 10 split it into their new interface but really, you still need the old stuff from Windows 7. Windows 8 is an experiment and not a very useful one from my perspective. The tile interface is horrid to begin with. I'm not sure anyone likes it.

Just from the slow uptake of Windows Mobile it is clear people do not like the tile interface.

Windows 10 is extremely buggy and can cause the start menu to cease functioning, as well as not being able to create new users anymore, or to log in with a different user (than the default).

The two times I have used Windows 10 thus far, on both systems within weeks my user profile got corrupted in that way and I had to go through the tedious and lengthy process of creating a new user with the old user's content. To use Windows 10, you really need to create backups of your user daily. The user profile is also not covered by system restore, how neat is that. But still if I were to choose anything, I would choose Windows 10 probably, because the "newness" is more valuable to me than a decent system. I like the store, that's about it, and normally Windows 10 has a very fast interface. I don't run Windows at this point though. Well, the system across the room, I believe it runs Windows 10.

Typing this from Kubuntu 16.04. Not great, but needed for me at this point.

Regards.

saam123

Post by saam123 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:28 pm

It all depends upon you if you just want to use window for basic purpose then XP is still usable but if you want lot of features to run different softwares and dynamic design then you must go for latest version. So, choice is yours......!

Behemot

Post by Behemot » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:01 am

No you don't.