Life Sucks

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PlanetOfTheApes

Re: Life Sucks

Post by PlanetOfTheApes » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:57 am

edh wrote:
PlanetOfTheApes wrote:This topic (antinatalism) is about the prevention of unnecessary harm.
How about you prevent unnecessary harm by stopping this thread?
An attempt to trivialise or whitewash the grotesque and needless suffering being experienced by sentient beings on this planet. A clear sign of desperation.
edh wrote:You've made your point, people can look at it if they want. Everyone can see that you're just trolling by carrying on. Whether you have some kind of deap seated childhood issue or are in some other way mentally imbalanced, you've said what you felt you need to say, so don't keep on saying it.

Question to mods: why has this not been locked as a troll thread?
You may wish to provide evidence of the said trolling. Thanks for posting and all the best.
Mettyx wrote:This topic is almost identical to my thinking while I was in high school.
Thoughts that procreation is delivering a child into harm and death? You must have been a very enlightened student :)
Mettyx wrote: Bottom line, it's useless and pathetic. Either you kill yourself or you don't.
If you set in motion an action to actually kill yourself but can't because you feel a visceral block(I called it biological imperative) most likely you will never kill yourself.
I agree that Life is useless and pathetic. I'd rather not create useless and pathetic beings who suffer. Please note that antinatalism and suicide are different subjects/topics.
Mettyx wrote: Now, while everything said in the OP is true and life certainly is an abysmal state of being which can naturally only conclude with systemic degradation of body and mind(without any purpose other than which you assign for yourself), thinking about it is useless and wasteful.
I don't mind thinking about this and other related subjects. I'd say creating beings who suffer is useless and wasteful.
Mettyx wrote:I imagine when I get older and reach a point when everything will go down hill fast, I will definitely kill myself. As you are probably aware suicide rate amongst older population is way higher than their percentage of general population.
This is of course perfectly reasonable and expected. After all, we have the common sense and humanity to euthanize old dogs who can barely walk but due to immature development of human civilization which still has its roots in superstition we force people the endure the torture of old age.
We can avoid these and other tragic aspects of the human condition by not creating new victims.
tim851 wrote:
PlanetOfTheApes wrote:Please explain why you think this topic is "non-sense".
Because a great deal of people are not finding life all that depressing, but enjoying it. You imposition that life is suffering is plainly wrong. Your life may be - but you can do something about that.
Who's arguing that a great deal of people are depressed and not experiencing joy? Who said "life is suffering"? Our psychology does not justify or change the fact that procreation is delivering children into harm and death.
tim851 wrote:
Antinatalism is based on the principle that suffering of whatever kind or degree should not be caused or perpetuated, and that human existence necessarily entails suffering that we can neither escape nor justify, least of all by experiencing pleasures. Thus, the only way to end all suffering would be to cease producing beings who suffer.
It's not a principle, it's an assumption. I don't suffer. If one day I should, it will have been worth it, 'cause my life's been great thus far.
Sentient beings experience varying degrees of negative mental states (suffer) is a fact. 'Suffering of whatever kind or degree should not be caused or perpetuated' is a value judgement.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:44 am

PlanetOfTheApes wrote: An attempt to trivialise or whitewash the grotesque and needless suffering being experienced by sentient beings on this planet.
Who are you to say that life is suffering? What gives you the right to decide that life is on balance suffering? The majority of people have a positive outlook on life and enjoy it. Stop thinking that your philospohical viewpoint outweights everyone elses.
PlanetOfTheApes wrote:You may wish to provide evidence of the said trolling.
Like, everything that you've posted just going on and on and on in a very selfish, higher than thou way.
PlanetOfTheApes wrote: I agree that Life is useless and pathetic.
No, life has its purpose. It does not merely perpetuate but also evolves and betters itself by doing so over the generations. I know you're against doing that yourself but you have no right to stop everyone else procreating and furthering the human race by doing so. Lifeforms have also evolved to enjoy living. Animals that don't enjoy living and procreating (like yourself) don't get far and the genes die out, therefore there is an evolution towards happiness too. Future generations will also live and will be even happier than people today are, so think of the future generatiosn rather than your own selfish "life is suffering" emo crap.
PlanetOfTheApes wrote:I'd rather not create useless and pathetic beings who suffer.
I am not a useless pathetic being and I do not on balance suffer. Neither do most people in the world. What you do is your own problem and stop imposing your view on everyone else.
Mettyx wrote:As you are probably aware suicide rate amongst older population is way higher than their percentage of general population.
That's simply not true. The elderly are frequently some of the happiest people. It is young men who are most at risk of commiting suicide.
PlanetOfTheApes wrote: Sentient beings experience varying degrees of negative mental states (suffer) is a fact. 'Suffering of whatever kind or degree should not be caused or perpetuated' is a value judgement.
You go out to a restaurant for a meal. The food is amazing, the wine is great, the service is swift, the bill is small. However, you don't like the decor. Does this make it a bad dining experience? On balance, no.

In the same way, you go through life, it has its ups and downs, but on balance its good. You can't rightly condemn it in your selfish emo way simply because some of life is suffering.

I'm looking forward to having children and I'd invite everyone else here who is to also state this. Since about 26 my view point changed and I can't wait to have children myself, watch them grow, see them take their first steps, learn to ride a bike, have their first day at school, graduate from university and set up home on their own. This is the point of life and this is all enjoyable to most people. You are selfish and self centred to think otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4OnQpwjkc

tim851

Post by tim851 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:34 am

PlanetOfTheApes wrote:Our psychology does not justify or change the fact that procreation is delivering children into harm and death.
We're also delivering children into joy and life. My little nephew is enjoying the sh*t out of it. You can't look at the moments where he's crying and say it's not worth it. He would disagree with you - and he's only 2.
tim851 wrote:Sentient beings experience varying degrees of negative mental states (suffer) is a fact.
Dude, I have not suffered a single day in my life. I've had bad days, but none of them really horrible and none of them made me question my existence in the slightest.

The one thing I will agree on is that it's probably better if YOU don't have kids.