Freakin' Ad-Aware robbed me of hours of work

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

snutten

Freakin' Ad-Aware robbed me of hours of work

Post by snutten » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Not only did ad-aware take its share of time updating itself. When it finally had finished downloading the new files it simply proceeded to turn my computer off. I was bumped out of a game, lost a word document that had taken more than an hour to write, lost the firefox windows with a long and mindboggingly tedious job applying application ongoing.

To say the least, I am very upset about this and I feel a need to tell the whole internet about it. In fact, I made an account @ad-aware only so I could spew some hate on them. This is simply not acceptable.

I run win7 x64. This is the first time this has ever happened to me. Lavasoft takes the m-f price with this one.

Did anyone here experience anything like it? Anyway to tell beforehand?

/Angry

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:04 pm

I stopped using Ad-Aware when they stopped updating the "SE" version. The next one was shit, and slowed down every PC it infected with a totally useless residential program that you could not turn off by conventional means.

I now use "MBAM" in its place, alongside the venerable Spybot (disable "Tea Timer" during the install as it is a massive pain in the arse, and has huge problems with other security problems), which I have been a verry happy user of for many years.

Also install "Crap Cleaner" (name cleaned up to just CCleaner), it is also great, and the only non-security bit of software I will let touch the registry.

Andy

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:26 pm

lost a word document that had taken more than an hour to write"

Back in the '80s we had a phrase, "Save it early, save it often".

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:35 pm

You might be able to recover at least some part of that Word document. See the following link for locations for Autorecover/Autosave documents:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/107686

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Greg F. wrote:lost a word document that had taken more than an hour to write"

Back in the '80s we had a phrase, "Save it early, save it often".
The college I attended, their website webmail program has this problem, total piece of junk. Clearly the "low bidder."

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:49 am

I killed ad-aware a loooong time ago and replaced it with firefox add-ons/preferences to keep the crap from getting on my pc in the first place.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:12 am

It wasn't Ad-Aware, but some other program that forcefully restarted my PC after declaring installation had finished and I pressed "Finish" (the only option given). Without a warning I found myself staring at the POST screen.

Didn't lose anything, but I feel your pain. This is simply bad design and unacceptable.

Nowadays I always do installations separately, i.e. close everything else as per the usual installer guideline. For antispyware, I ran Superantispyware for a long time, but when it stopped finding anything for months, I gave up and just use CCleaner to keep everything neat and tidy.

tim851

Re: Freakin' Ad-Aware robbed me of hours of work

Post by tim851 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:31 pm

snutten wrote:I was bumped out of a game, lost a word document that had taken more than an hour to write, lost the firefox windows with a long and mindboggingly tedious job applying application ongoing.
Word autosaves. If you turned off autosaving because you thought it was stupid, life has just taught you a lesson.

The job application, well, shouldn't you focus on that and submit it before turning to a game?

I do feel your pain for losing the progress in the game, but those other two are so your fault!