Every Trackpad Should Look as Good as HP’s Invisible Wonder

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Belinda

Every Trackpad Should Look as Good as HP’s Invisible Wonder

Post by Belinda » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:43 pm

HP's new g6 budget notebook line is wholly unremarkable—almost. The econo-laptops have one thing going for them, but it's pretty stellar—a completely seamless, invisible trackpad. Our only question is, why is this awesome feature stuck in cheap-o land?
The trackpad on the g6 is entirely unseen. No lines, no varying texture, no gaudy glow—no nothing. Just a sheer, continuous plane of smooth plastic—and still highly responsive. The only mark on the otherwise pristine bar is a little dimpled touch sensor, considerately allowing you to switch the pad on or off (should you want to type out an essay without your arms nudging the pad, for instance). It's a deliciously designed feature, and a highly attractive one. The notebook itself is no beauty queen, but the uninterrupted form stands out wonderfully.
So why is the only HP computer getting this treatment the cheapest one on the lot? HP's new "premium" laptop models—the Pavilion dv6 and dv7—show off their trackpads, rather than sleekly concealing them. They're high contrast. They're bright. They pop. They scream, HELLO, I AM A TRACKPAD. HERE I AM Interface should never be in your face.
The g6's invisi-pad isn't perfect. It doesn't click or have the satisfying roominess of, say, a MacBook Pro's pad. But it's an attention to detail that other manufacturers (and HP itself!) should look to. And not just to stick in the bargain bin. - via Gizmodo

tim851

Re: Every Trackpad Should Look as Good as HP’s Invisible Won

Post by tim851 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:58 am

I remember people complaining about trackpads that don't "stand out" touch-wise, because they can be difficult to find without looking. I guess HP is trialing how consumers like it and trialing is best done on the low end.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:53 am

Why would anyone want a trackpad that they can "lose" and then have to find again, utter pain in the arse that is. Why not have a different surface feel so that people at least know where to/where not to put their fingers, when (not if) they lose the position of the trackpad. It's bad enough with trackpads that have a seamless line between the trackpad itself and the scroll up/down bit.

Just because it looks good doesnt mean that its not a shitty idea (it does look good). To be fair, I would have to use one for some time to really make a descission, however having used hundreds of laptops touchpads (and nipples), even the touchpad being in a strange place (way off centre) becomes irritating very quickly.

Andy

PS: Nipple's can be found here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 am

I forgot to add.

Welcome to SPCR

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:45 am

As a laptop user, I can't imagine having the trackpad built in like that. I've played with a few laptops that have a flush trackpad that is textured slightly differently than the surrounding palmrest and these are a serious pain in the ass to use. This completely invisible HP version would be even worse, IMO.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:12 am

Hate it. The flush, textured pad on the Asus UL30A is painful enough, but losing the texturing altogether would be the last straw. Clear borders and a sensitive, tactile surface for me, thanks.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:59 am

It may look neat, but it'd be totally unusable. No clicking, no scrolling, no finding the pad by touch whatsoever. Utterly pointless.

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:08 am

An invisible pad is a bad idea on so many levels, especially if you don't have a USB mouse. I already don't like the regular pads much, but that's ridiculous.

EDIT: By the way, Belinda, since this is your only post so far, and it's kind of in the form of an add, are you by any chance an employee of HP? SilenX tried using the forums for free advertising once, and their credibility at SPCR got shot right out of the window for it.

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:59 am

I can't believe any of you took this for anything but an ad!
A persons first post on a silent PC website about a laptop touchpad - gushing prose with a huge glossy photo... duh.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:58 pm

judge56988 wrote:I can't believe any of you took this for anything but an ad!
A persons first post on a silent PC website about a laptop touchpad - gushing prose with a huge glossy photo... duh.
Oh, it's pretty obvious, but at the same time it's a good time to comment on what a worthless idea HP have come up with.