How To Disable "Google Instant"

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

How To Disable "Google Instant"

Post by andyb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Basically its really annoying most of the time, it does not behave exactly as I would expect it to, and as I have had many years of "Googling" I am very capable of finding things the old way. Very often I find that "Instant" actually takes longer because it gets in the way, and constantly screws with me.

Of course it can be disabled, however I have setup FF not to store any data, therefore the procedure I need to go through to disable "Instant" is as follows. Search for something, then the option magically appears, turn of the option, re-search using the classic method, get the damned results I actually want.

I have "Googled" how to do this, and have not found anything that actually works, until I found this website.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/permanentl ... e-suggest/

I tried the "Ad-Block Plus" method, didnt work, I then tried the different "Google" page, in my case http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?complete=0 this works even though "Google Instant" still appears to be on - however it is not. I was expecting a marathon here but I now have the answer, and so do you all. The only reason why I tried the "Ad-Block Plus" method first is because I had already tried another "Google" page.

:mrgreen: I am now happy, and dont have to start using another search provider.

Andy

ces

Re: How To Disable "Google Instant"

Post by ces » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:30 pm

Yes. I thought I was alone.

Take a careful look at the drop down instant search results menu. It has something you can click to disable it.

HFat

Post by HFat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't know what Google Instant is so I suppose you could get rid of it by disabling JS with NoScript or some such.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:19 am

Take a careful look at the drop down instant search results menu. It has something you can click to disable it.
The problem there is that the browser never remembers anything once it has been closed (specifically once ALL windows have been closed). Therefore the standard ways of doing it simply dont work, it would be the same for anyyone who uses "Private Browsing" as a default option.
I suppose you could get rid of it by disabling JS with NoScript or some such.
Thats basically what should have happened via ABP, but who cares, its done, and without having to install even prore programs (or add-ins).

Andy

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:59 pm

I disabled Google Instant soon after it was implemented, doing it by the "Search settings" link (as ces described.) I've used only Firefox since then (as far as I can recall), but just now out of curiosity I visited Google in IE and it was disabled in that browser as well.

Which leads me to think that it's a cookie rather than a browser setting.

idale

Post by idale » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Reachable wrote:I disabled Google Instant soon after it was implemented, doing it by the "Search settings" link (as ces described.) I've used only Firefox since then (as far as I can recall), but just now out of curiosity I visited Google in IE and it was disabled in that browser as well.

Which leads me to think that it's a cookie rather than a browser setting.
Cookies are per-browser, though. What it might be is either it's a setting applied to your Google account, or else possibly a setting on their end based on your IP. Or, being Google, perhaps it knows that it's you and any computer you're on it'll be disabled. :lol:

zigojacko

Post by zigojacko » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:40 am

Google Instant and Google Personalised Search - What a load of rubbish! Sick of Google dictating how we use the web... If Google Instant was ever switched on permanenetly, I would so leave Google as my primary search engine.

Notice how in Google Chrome (and only this browser) it doesn't retain your preferences... Every 1 or 2 searches or every few minutes, it turns Google Personalised Search back on. Friggin' idiots!

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:29 pm

ces wrote:Take a careful look at the drop down instant search results menu. It has something you can click to disable it.
Thank you!

Bertrand Russell wrote:"Aristotle calls man the rational animal. All my life I have been seeking evidence to confirm this" .
Aristotle didn't say the rationization had to be correct. :mrgreen: