Get a load of this internship "opening" More News

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Get a load of this internship "opening" More News

Post by aristide1 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:29 pm

OK now mind you aren't internship for people who lack experience fresh out of college? The following is a list of requirements:

Required Skills: Technical requirements are diverse, and a successful applicant should have a broad technical background and be passionate about learning and exploring new technologies. Software development experience with JAVA and in a LINUX environment is required. Understanding of Swing, SOA (service orientated architecture), EJB3, Oracle database, XML is also desired. Coursework exposure in one or more areas of computer science (e.g., programming, operating systems, reverse engineering, embedded systems, information systems, device drivers, kernel development, information security, network engineering, communication protocols, encryption, and databases) is required. As the internship includes regular team meetings and presentations to management, the successful candidate must demonstrate excellent communication skills. The candidate must have demonstrated leadership ability through coursework, community, or campus involvement. Most importantly, an entrepreneurial, motivated, self-starter attitude is required.

And requiring Top Secret clearance of top of all the above, that's just icing on the cake.

I remember the good old days when pay was commensurate with experience. Clearly this is no longer true. I wonder if companies like these absolutely despise the minimum wage.
Last edited by aristide1 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m0002a

Re: Get a load of this internship "opening"

Post by m0002a » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:51 pm

I don't know about the Top Secret clearance, but the other requirements are probably realistic in today's job market, even for an intern.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:46 am

Sad. It just goes to show that employers have absolutely no idea what kind of knowledge a BS (or even a college degree) gets you : a vague idea of a vague understanding of a vague theoretical concepts that might somehow be remotely related to an actual concept in the industry.
I've never worked with a college student who knew how to work. They certainly knew plenty of stuff, but relating this stuff to their work was another story...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:57 am

frenchie wrote:I've never worked with a college student who knew how to work. They certainly knew plenty of stuff, but relating this stuff to their work was another story...
And that's the point of an internship, not to obtain a mid-level employee for six months and to pay them less than entry level wages. IE This is a "Faux" internship, like all "Faux" things in life.

I removed the job notification email option from my profile there. Some political cult followers simply refuse to understand corporations also strive for getting something for nothing.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:11 am

aristide1 wrote:And that's the point of an internship, not to obtain a mid-level employee for six months and to pay them less than entry level wages. IE This is a "Faux" internship, like all "Faux" things in life.

I removed the job notification email option from my profile there. Some political cult followers simply refuse to understand corporations also strive for getting something for nothing.
Just about all consumers try to get something for nothing also (or as little as they can get away with). I would certainly expect companies, large and small, to do the same.

I don't think any large corporations expect interns to work for free, although that is common these days in small businesses, because the job market is so tight, and some will work for free just to get experience.
Last edited by m0002a on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:21 am

I don't think any large corporations expect interns to work for free, although that is common these days in small businesses, because the job market is so tight, and some will work for free just to get experience.
Nobody said free.

The company is very large.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:07 am

If you are interested in this topic, you should listen to this radio program:

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2009/08/20/payi ... k-for-free

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 am

Despite M002A's observation of "that's the way it is today" which simply proves he missed the point, again, my professors referred to this ad as insane, and everybody with a brain (1 missing person, guess who?) identified the ad for what it is, a company that wants something for nothing, nothing in this case being no monetary value.

The position, "Because I can," had no credibility when Clinton said those words, and it certainly has no credibility now. Why are you a thief? Why are you an arse? Because I can.

Really?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:24 pm

aristide1 wrote:Despite M002A's observation of "that's the way it is today" which simply proves he missed the point, again, my professors referred to this ad as insane, and everybody with a brain (1 missing person, guess who?) identified the ad for what it is, a company that wants something for nothing, nothing in this case being no monetary value.

The position, "Because I can," had no credibility when Clinton said those words, and it certainly has no credibility now. Why are you a thief? Why are you an arse? Because I can.

Really?
I agree with you that they want something for nothing. My observation didn't miss that point, and I don't understand why you are personally attacking me on that account.

But it is a fact that some people will work for free just to get job experience and something to put on their resume. You may think that people who accept such jobs are insane, but it does happen in times like these. I have a few times recommended to those who can't find work that they volunteer for a non-profit organization just to get experience that they can put on the their resume (as you may recall a few years ago).

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:43 pm

m0002a wrote:But it is a fact that some people will work for free just to get job experience and something to put on their resume. You may think that people who accept such jobs are insane, but it does happen in times like these.
Of course, and they happen with people with no experience. This is not an internship, it's a masquerade, that and only that has been the point.

And had you not stuck your nose into this thread in the first place I would have been more than happy to leave you alone. That's a 2 way street.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:07 pm

aristide1 wrote:And had you not stuck your nose into this thread in the first place I would have been more than happy to leave you alone. That's a 2 way street.
That seems like a lame excuse to hurl personal attacks.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:39 pm

Free speech, it is a bitch.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 pm

This opening is stupid. It is self-contradictory.

Nobody who applies for this internship and meets all the requirements will meet the last and most important one: an entrepreneurial, motivated, self-starter attitude.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:50 pm

m0002a wrote:That seems like a lame excuse to hurl personal attacks.
You oughta know.

m0002a wrote:Does that mean no, or are you imitating a goat?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:54 pm

tim851 wrote:This opening is stupid. It is self-contradictory.
It's a US military supplier, what do you expect?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Get a load of this internship "opening" More News

Post by aristide1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Well when it comes to ethics, or lack thereof, at least you can say they are consistent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-1 ... -case.html

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Get a load of this internship "opening" More News

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:28 am

OK girls, time to start knocking off the personal attacks. Take it to PM, or maybe you can duel it out at 10 paces.