nLite

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

toronado455

nLite

Post by toronado455 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Anyone used nLite to make a custom XP installer disk?

monkeyesque

Re: nLite

Post by monkeyesque » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 am

Yes - lots of times with success a few years ago. Switched to Windows 7 now but always found it to slipstream in Service packs, updates and also remove unwanted features perfectly. A stripped down CD installed much faster as well. Not used any recent builds if there are such a thing.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 am

I tried, I failed. I tried imaging software once I had done all of that manually and have never looked back. Also W7 allows you to un-install various bits of crap it comes with such as IE and WMP which was not easy to do with XP.

Also for all of my installations I use my old 64GB SSD as it cuts the windows update installation time in half, I then take an image (I have 300GB worth of images for different motherboard/OS combinations now), I then finally Image my SSD to the customer HDD, it cuts down the time to do an installation a huge amount and also means that you can be backing up the HDD that the installation will eventually be on at the same time.

Andy

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:00 am

I made my own tweaked installer discs back in the day, tried to minimize the massive amount of tweaking it takes to make a vanilla WinXP install to behave. Do I want the remote registry service running? No. Good times.. ;)

yakuman

Post by yakuman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:50 am

Those really were the golden times of tweaking :D

To successfully create an nLite'd disc requires one to judiciously remove components. Pay special attention to the red warnings because there are components that may not be so obviously vital up front.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:25 pm

I downloaded SP3 to include in my custom nLite disk. But does anyone know a sure fire way to get just the post-SP3 updates/hotfixes? (other than allowing the automatic windows update mechanism to download/install them)?

I know I can download them from here but it seems like it would involve a bit of guess work to know exactly which ones I need and which I do not.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:56 pm

I used a tool from the german c't computer website:

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl ... te-ct.html

And it worked flawless for me, hope it does for you too.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Pappnaas wrote:I used a tool from the german c't computer website:

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl ... te-ct.html

And it worked flawless for me, hope it does for you too.
Thanks. I found this page and downloader tool which seems to be the most up to date source for this.