Yeah, let's hear it for mankind in the 21st Century.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Yeah, let's hear it for mankind in the 21st Century.

Post by aristide1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:08 pm

I got called to a job interview, got all prepped up, the clothes, the reviewing, the drive, the overnight stay, etc. Ten days later I'm called back for a follow up interview. I followed up with an email a week later asking for status, not for a decision, but for an estimate of how long a decision may take. I'm told they need another week.

Nothing.

Two and half months later I find out by accident that they hired somebody else. Now the following are all quite acceptable.
1. I didn't get hired.
2. I drove 800 miles and gas alone exceeded $100 all at my expense.
3. I was put up by friends for several nights, which I repaid by taking them out to dinner and breakfast.

This is not acceptable:
1. Not even getting an email telling me they came to a decision.

So now I hear these words replaying in my head.
Jospeh Welch wrote:Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last?
Have you left no sense of decency?
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeche ... arthy.html

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Re: Yeah, let's hear it for mankind in the 21st Century.

Post by rpsgc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:02 am

That's what you get for thinking you are a Human being (and not a faceless, soulless drone).

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 am

Pretty damn presumptuous on my part, I agree.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed May 02, 2012 3:34 pm

I got called to a job interview, got all prepped up, the clothes, the reviewing, the drive, the overnight stay, etc. Ten days later I'm called back for a follow up interview. I followed up with an email a week later asking for status, not for a decision, but for an estimate of how long a decision may take. I'm told they need another week.

Nothing.

Two and half months later I find out by accident that they hired somebody else.
Tell the world who you applied for a job with and shame them publicly for being spineless arsehole's with no common decency or moral standing.

At the very least it might make you feel better.

As a side topic, who or what is to blame, the telephone, e-mail or people. The obvious and correct answer is people, telephones don't phone people and hold a conversations and e-mails don't write and send themselves, however both of these "modern" devices of communication are distant and as such allow people to "disconnect", some do it to the degree that they "disconnect" from even bothering to e-mail people the bad news - I still perceive this as an excuse, but it is ever becoming a more valid excuse as the use of e-mail and telephones are becoming more commonly used means of communication rather than person to person with nothing but a few feet of air between them.

Andy