Unlimited detail technology

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mettyx

Unlimited detail technology

Post by Mettyx » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:30 pm

Please watch this video first before commenting.

So, why is no one anywhere talking about this, at any conference/event about gaming, no hardware manufacturers, no game developers. not one journalist ever mentions it any article even considering hypothetical future of gaming etc.

Can someone explain what's going on here? Why isn't there a frenzy of big companies trying to copy this technology and develop it to its fruition as their own?

mkk

Re: Unlimited detail technology

Post by mkk » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Because they've still only shown still graphics tech demos and not anything that could practically be used in an actual game engine. They've presented their technology a couple of times over a number of years without being able to come up with any answers to its inherent drawbacks. For the most part it's not actually new technology either.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:04 am

All hat and no cattle - that seems to be the general opinion among most game developers. But it has not gone unnoticed, one example is this.

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:14 am

Yes, it was very suspicious that both comments and ratings are disabled on that video.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:05 am

These tech demos they've released seem to be a bit full of it. Essentially, they are promising the end of graphical evolution. Having unlimited "atoms" means being able to display everything and anything. When they say "unlimited", they are definitely disingenious. I agree with Notch's assessment that this is a sales pitch.

I remember Voxels from "Delta Force" or "Outcast" in the 90s. And I remember Bitboys, that illustrous Finish company that promised revolutionary graphics cards but was never able to produce silicon.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 am

I hope that their claims are true, if they are then this would be the single biggest innovation in the world of computer graphics since 3D was invented.

However this sounds like "VapourWare", so I will say that I wont believe that it is true until I see some verifiable evidence.

Andy