I have been banned from the Hexus forums after just 2 posts

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

I have been banned from the Hexus forums after just 2 posts

Post by andyb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Who cannot communicate in any meaningful or coherent manner and as such simply deleted my first post pointing out the flaw, as well as his awful response that created new questions and failed to answer any of the original ones, and also my following post asking further questions.

All this started because I noticed a serious flaw in a review on Hexus about a "Be Quiet PSU", linked below,

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/psu/44781 ... -630w-psu/

This is the part that could be very misleading to the majority of people who don't really know how a PSU works and rely on reviews such as this one.

"Put it another way, the supply grabs 360W from the wall to provide 315W to the components, compared with around 345W required for a more-expensive 80 PLUS Gold-rated model."

I pointed out that a PSU is supposed to deliver its rated output in DC Watts rather than AC watts as this would suggest.

Tarrinder responded saying (from memory, I didn't take a screendump of his response) that all of Hexus PSU reviews tested the PSU's DC output, and that the quote was referring to a "mid-point" of DC testing and that the 360W figure was tested via a watt meter at the wall socket.

Obviously Tarrinder didn't like me pointing out that saying such things in a review could easily suggest to people that a 360W PSU is its AC input amount, and the actual power output to the PC was lower than this depending on the efficiency, if he had used any number apart from 360W AC input when talking about a 360W PSU then I would never have bothered to post anything.

He also probably didn't like the fact that I described his wording as "incoherent" due to him talking about a "mid-point" in his rebuttal - what kind of a weird "mid-point" in PSU testing can be found at 87.5% of a PSU's output considering that his testing does not list the efficiency at that power output.

Obviously an idiot incapable of explaining things, I would suggest avoiding their reviews. Personally I will continue to read Hexus regularly for the tech-news, but I will avoid their reviews because they are crap.

Andy
Last edited by andyb on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Re: I have been banned from the Hexus forums after just 2 po

Post by lm » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:16 am

The PSU is a 630W model, not 360W. 315W is exactly 50% of 630W.

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 pm

andyb wrote:what kind of a weird "mid-point" in PSU testing can be found at 87.5% of a PSU's output considering that his testing does not list the efficiency at that power output.
I don't follow, at all.

Efficency at 50% (midpoint) load is 360/315 = 87.5%

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:26 am

The PSU is a 630W model, not 360W. 315W is exactly 50% of 630W.
Thanks, I must have had a bad dyslexic moment there.

I seem to have read every single 630 as a 360, it would have been nice if the people at Hexus would have simply pointed that out in their reply as you have done, maybe they are dyslexic as well :mrgreen:
I don't follow, at all.

Efficency at 50% (midpoint) load is 360/315 = 87.5%
It would be for a 360W PSU.! Now that I know the review was for a 630W PSU and not a 360W PSU, it also explains why its so expensive for a decent efficiency low power out put PSU, its not its a 630W model.

Andy