Windows 8: what do you think about it?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JazzJackRabbit

Re: Windows 8: what do you think about it?

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat May 18, 2013 7:32 am

Spoon Boy wrote:
JazzJackRabbit wrote:save for a few small annoyances it's every bit as good or better than Win7.
I have to ask in what way is it better than Win7 ?
If you are going to install a start menu replacement and boot straight to desktop why not just use Win7.
All i ever see are reasons not to use Win8, things like the flat colorless GUI elements, the jarring switching back and forth from Metro to desktop, having to tweak or install third party programs to get it to act more like Win7.
There are a few. My network transfers are faster. I have two computers on the network (call them N1 and N2) besides my primary one (call it P1). If I have to copy files from N1 to N2 while I'm working on P1, the file transfer has to go through P1, when I had Win7 I averaged 25-40MB/s, after I upgraded to Win8 I'm averaging 50-70MB/s. There are other small improvements, for example "up" button is back in explorer for those who want to use it. If I'm trying to delete a file and it's in use by another program Win8 actually tells me what program is using the file instead of forcing me to play detective games. I haven't had a chance to do copy multiple files at the same time yet, but that part is supposed to be improved in Win8 as well. There are reasons to upgrade to Win8, it is better than Win7 in many ways. True, I had to install Classic Shell, that is a little bit annoying, but it's easy to do, and it works perfect. As I said, I never see the metro screen, and I vastly prefer the flat look over rounded translucent window style of Win7 that frankly is a mess in my opinion. The only problem I have left right now is trying to set up my codecs to playback my media. I've had a lot of trouble making ffdshow preferred codec over Microsoft one, I ended up having to disable Microsoft one, which is not ideal, but it will do for now, and I still can't get DirectVobSub working, but I'm sure google will find a solution.

Mats

Post by Mats » Sat May 18, 2013 7:58 am

Use the task bar, not the start menu. It's a very good alternative that most people refuses to even try out.
They prefer a clean look and don't want the task bar to get cluttered, and if you're one of them you have a reason for sticking with W7.

The thing is though, most people have never tried putting the >40 most used programs in the task bar so they don't know what it's like.
I've even seen people who use both Apple and Windows, their dock is full of programs but when it comes to the task bar they must keep it clean and almost empty. :?
As if digging into the start menu is a good thing, I call it time consuming.

Still, I can't see why Windows didn't give the users the option to use the old start menu, that's just stupid.

The charms bar on the other hand is a useless piece of crap tho.

I recommend Skip Metro Suite, and keep everything enabled except Drag-to-close.
http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103

fastturtle

Post by fastturtle » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:40 pm

From what I've heard, SP1 for Win8 is going to restore the desktop - don't know about the start menu. Overall, having time to explore Win8, the main issue is the major changes to the UI that causes problems.

For those trying to shutdown the computer, simply hit the power button (brings the menu up right away). Personally, between Linux and Win7/8 I rarely if ever shut the system down since sleep works. That's about the only advantage Win has over Linux and it's the sleep support. You can simply hit the sleep button on the keyboard and walk away and to wake it up, tap a key/move the mouse. Linux, you have to hit the power button so if you use it, you better have a battery backup.

One of the things I dislike with Win8 is the integration of Skydrive into the OS itself. I gave it a shot but suddenly discovered that all of my files where visible to skydrive - some of them private medical info that wasn't shared. Now if skydrive honored the homegroup settings of shared/unshared I wouldn't have been annoyed. In fact it makes lots of sense. I just wasn't happy with the default of sharing everything on my system to anybody that could access the account.

For those who dislike the Aero interface in Win7 - customize it. I've got a decent card but I turn off almost all of the bleeping eye candy because it's distracting. I do like the taskbar thumbnails and I have several apps pinned to the task bar. These are what I use frequently. For the start menu, I have the favorites setup to hold the next level down and if I have to, I'll dive into the start menu itself about once a month. Simply put, I rarley use the all programs section of the start menu because the main apps are on the taskbar with second level pinned to favorites.

On the power management features, the only thing I'd like with Win8 is easier access to changing the profile on the test system. It's a laptop with a very old Radeon R200M that was never supported by ATI. What annoys me is I prefer the laptop to shutdown when I hit the power button but it insists on going to sleep. Sure hybrid mode is nice but the battery doesn't last that long anymore so going to sleep is just killing the poor thing even faster (it's 7 years old and I'm not willing to spend $100+ for a replacement)

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:45 pm

That SkyDrive integration sounds really nasty. I don't like the service to begin with, and implementing it so deeply rooted and apparently "wide open" is just bad policy. MS needs another slap in the face it seems (the previous being the $700 million EU antitrust fine). It's good if there is an option to opt-out, as in you don't get locked in, but every major feature should be opt-in in the first place. Incidentally I was a huge fan of nLite. :P

Keeping the taskbar clear is probably a throwback to the horizontal default position era and people needing to see the titles of individual program windows to navigate them - imagine having to work with multiple Word and Excel documents open on 1024x768 and Win95/NT/98/2000. Aero Flip and the preview thumbnails can remove that need, though I imagine people will still prefer what they're used to, and some will simply like their OS elements clean and simple. I find myself preferring clean simply because I don't want temptations and distractions everywhere when I work - empty desktop, empty taskbar for me, but I do keep my bar vertical, since I have more screen real estate horizontally.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:25 am

SkyDrive:

As long as the US government proceeds to take access to anything they deem useful without having some kind of warrant or some kind of court decision in addition to informing the data's owner (see: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013 ... i/2378799/) i will not use any online storage not legally residing in germany for my personal files.

I know that if some agencys in germany would take access to one's personal data without any court based legitimation, the whole world would assume the germans are regressing back to the dark times of Nationalsozialismus.

But, as you all know, when two people do the same thing, it's not the same.....

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 am

Pappnaas wrote:SkyDrive:

As long as the US government proceeds to take access to anything they deem useful without having some kind of warrant or some kind of court decision in addition to informing the data's owner (see: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013 ... i/2378799/) i will not use any online storage not legally residing in germany for my personal files.

I know that if some agencys in germany would take access to one's personal data without any court based legitimation, the whole world would assume the germans are regressing back to the dark times of Nationalsozialismus.

But, as you all know, when two people do the same thing, it's not the same.....
I'll drink to that. :mrgreen:

PS. I would never upload any backups online that were not heavily encrypted. There's no telling when there's a breach, "legal" or otherwise. TrueCrypt is a bit of a pain, but the feeling of safety can't be beat.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:03 am

First look at Windows 8.1

Common where is the start...................

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:53 am

What makes me laugh is he is so enthusiastic about how you can customize the colors and background picture on the start screen and how you can now multi task, running two or more programs at a time....
Someone needs to show him the previous Windows versions :lol:

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:08 am

Spoon Boy wrote:What makes me laugh is he is so enthusiastic about how you can customize the colors and background picture on the start screen and how you can now multi task, running two or more programs at a time....
Someone needs to show him the previous Windows versions :lol:
Yyyyeah... impressive feats for a 1st generation smartphone maybe, not really for a PC. :P

mkk

Post by mkk » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:05 pm

- Hi, my name is xxx xxx, and I am on the Windows User Experience team.

Oh, so you're with the ones who should have shouted STOP! but never did eh? Gee man, thanks a lot!
Video ruined after 10 seconds. :lol:

ceh4702

Post by ceh4702 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Well I saw some interesting things in this new Blue Window update to Wiin 8. Maybe that is just an update pack.

They are calling Blue, Win 8.1 . . . .

June 26 release date? Maybe.

http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps/mi ... ndows-8.1/

http://www.optimizewindows8.net/2013/06 ... e-26-2013/

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:35 pm

ceh4702 wrote:They are calling Blue, Win 8.1 . . . .

http://www.optimizewindows8.net/2013/06 ... e-26-2013/

June 26 release date? Maybe.
Interesting, all i have read was toward just a show into what they are working for the 8.1 release and that they will release it later this year, but if its june26 would be great for me, i just bought 32gb of memory and win7 hp only supprots 16, so if its good... ill move to it.

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:08 am

andyb wrote:I agree with you in principle, but it actually goes way beyond that, it also replaces the start bar, the system tray, the quick launch icons and to some degree it IS the desktop.Andy
Are you lying, or just wrong? Because Windows 8 has a Start Bar, with app pinning, and the system tray (no need for quick launch with app pinning, so I'm not sure why you mentioned it when W7 lacks it).

Almost every complaint I've ever seen about W8 is like this: demonstrably wrong at even a casual glance.

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:12 am

But what you quoted from andyb was describing the metro interface NOT Windows 8 as a whole.

For completeness...
JazzJackRabbit wrote:So like I said, Metro Screen is nothing more than a significantly reworked Start Menu.
andyb wrote:I agree with you in principle, but it actually goes way beyond that, it also replaces the start bar, the system tray, the quick launch icons and to some degree it IS the desktop.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:11 am

June 26 is the Preview release date. The RTM version isn't expected until the end of the year.

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Spoon Boy wrote:But what you quoted from andyb was describing the metro interface NOT Windows 8 as a whole.

For completeness...
He was replying to a statement that the Start Screen is just a bigger Start Menu. Which is true. It does not replace any of the other things he mentioned, which are still present in Windows 8. It is, at the very least, disingenuous.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:25 pm

CA_Steve wrote:June 26 is the Preview release date. The RTM version isn't expected until the end of the year.
Microsoft sets August 1st launch date for Windows 8.1

I was planning on getting win7 pro for 32gb support.... but i might wait a couple of months to see if its win7 alike.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm

The Aug 1 date is a rumor. It's hard to believe they'll go from Preview to RTM in 1 month.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 pm

CA_Steve wrote:The Aug 1 date is a rumor. It's hard to believe they'll go from Preview to RTM in 1 month.
I believe they will do. And in addition, i believe that the short testing period will result in some nice 0-day exploits. AFAIK MS hasn't patched the newly discovered exploit in all Win-Versions, so i presumably lean back and wait until the next 0-day is made public.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:41 am

There's always an opportunity for idiocy. I guess we'll find out in a month or two.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:20 pm

New Windows 8.1 Start menu details

While seems great getting some windows start functionality, im not sure i like it.... gona stick with 7 for some time more.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:47 pm

That screen shot baffles me - you can choose restart or shutdown...but not sleep?

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:24 am

I think that maybe because of the changes in the way 8 shuts down.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx
It never really shuts down it just goes into a hybrid hibernation/shutdown state, So im guessing Microsoft didn't think we would want to manually enter a sleep state :roll:
Kinda the same way they didn't think people would miss the start menu so much.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:57 am

The part about WOL in your linked article leaves me wondering. Does that mean more consumed power for companies if they need WOL with Win8?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:25 pm

CA_Steve wrote:That screen shot baffles me - you can choose restart or shutdown...but not sleep?
from link..
Microsoft just released Windows Server 2012 R2 which ahs the very same options already.

A new screenshot of that server-build has been placed online that shows the new functionality which in the end will find its way into Windows 8.1, have a peek.
Servers dont usually need to be put to sleep by the admin, do they? :]

on another note, a home theater customer of mine hated 8 so much, they gave me a full retail version they had just bought... Whooppee! :roll:
that brings my W8 count up to 3 lic's....only one of which is installed on anything (living room PC).

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:59 am

The shutdown behaviour is news to me. I don't like the idea my hardware doesn't shut down completely when I shut it down. I would DIY a killswitch if that was the case.

Here's something on the Start Menu: http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-Rr ... x10000.jpg :mrgreen:

colin2

Post by colin2 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:30 am

After a few days with an HTPC install

good:
- security appears better integrated and less hassle
- it does look good on a big TV screen
- remote desktop is working well, as is wake-from-LAN

bad:
- yes, the interface is stupid and adds needless hassle
- you have to spend time uninstalling their silly apps; they force setting up a Microsoft "account." I just want an OS, please.
- UEFI problems. I had a smooth install the first day. Everything worked the first time. 2nd day I boot up and there's a message from the Gigabyte BIOS saying it's corrupted, and is fixing itself. After which Windows would not load and reinstallations would not finish. Tried everything. Eventually I hit on the right BIOS settings (forcing pure UEFI) and, after playing so dead I thought I'd bricked the mobo, the thing mysteriously returned to life, the reinstallation finished, and all works fine. For now.