It is currently Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1000VA - 1500VA Silent UPS 2016 Update?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:39 am 

Saw threads from years ago about silent Uninterruptable Power Supply devices. I would be interested in an update.

I want a UPS that would keep my PC and one, maybe two, large monitors running (~150-220W). I'd like to be able to do more than just save my work and shut down, but rather ride the battery through many blackouts. I think 60-90 minute runtime would be a good goal.

1500VA models seem to be right. I prefer the pure sine wave option for PFC PSUs. I understand some have said pure sine wave doesn't matter, but also heard some mention of the possibility that some of the sound problems may be interaction of approximated sine waves and PFC PSU.

Cyberpower has a nice product selection feature and these seem to be the models with 1500VA and pure sine wave output. The lower 1000+ VA units are included too. [The following post discusses APC pure sine models.]

Like everyone here, I would like to have other people's feedback and suggestions as to which APC and Cyberpower UPS models are completely silent when on AC power, and (much lower priority) reasonably quiet when on battery power. Thanks in advance! If anyone has feedback and suggestions in the lower VA range that might help others, by all means please mention them too.

Some matching Cyberpower models:

CP1500PFCLCD
PR1500LCD
PR1500LCDN

CP1350PFCLCD
CP1000PFCLCD
PR1000LCD

Last edited by awitko on Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 1000VA - 1500VA Silent UPS 2016 Update?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:01 am 

I took a look at the APC BX1000G on Amazon. I saw some negative comments here on the previous UPS threads but it is highly rated by many users on Amazon -many say it is silent. But see this post about pure sine wave input and power factor correction (top critical review for this APC model on Amazon):

"When I called APC tech support to find out why my new BX1000G* would not power my Dell XPS 9000 in a power outage, the customer rep knew exactly what was wrong. My Dell computer (and many others) needed a pure sine wave input and this APC series of UPS produces a "step approximated sine wave". She even emailed me a company white paper that explained why it was not compatible with many of the newer energy star compliant computers that have "Active Power Factor Correction" power supplies. She recommended that I exchange it for their "smart-ups" model SMT1000 which produces a pure sine wave. This sounded OK until I discovered that the SMT1000 costs almost four times as much as the BX1000G! Google for "apc ups active pfc" to learn much more about this problem. Call APC to find out if your particular PC is compatible before ordering."

Curious whether anyone has experience with APC SMT1000 apparently recommended by APC customer support (and corresponding 1500VA version - SMT 1500). They are described as follows on the APC product page.

APC Smart-UPS 1500VA LCD 120V
APC Smart-UPS 1000VA LCD 120V

Post subject: Re: 1000VA - 1500VA Silent UPS 2016 Update?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:36 pm 

I have an APC BR1500G: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6842101419

I never hear the thing on AC power and its buzzing is tolerable when the power goes out.

At idle my gaming PC, Modem, and monitor can run for about an hour, but what I really love is the fact that APC sells an external battery pack for the thing that extends the runtime: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6842101435