Holy Cow! I hate Comcast

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CA_Steve

Holy Cow! I hate Comcast

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Encryption is hitting our local market - farewell to ClearQAM. I just have basic extended cable (analog!) and what was the 16/2 and is now the 20/2 Mbsps internet. It suited me well, especially with the rebroadcast HD local channels, but the cost of the TV side kept going up and providing less service (as opposed to the pipe which started at 5/1 @ $43 ten years or so ago). I've been on hold for 40 minutes waiting for one of their fucking Retention people pick up the call to renegotiate terms. At the 30 min mark, I started a text chat with customer service. Ten minutes later, she told me she was unable to deal or connect me to Retention - but she could connect me with Sales! A few minutes with Sales and the end conclusion was obvious for my use model: cut the cord. Oh yeah, after 50 minutes, nobody in Retention had picked up the call.

For your fun and amusement, here's the transcript:

Problem: I've been on hold for 30 min waiting for someone in Retention to pick up the call. So, my issues are:%0A1) really
sucky customer service%0A2) whether or not I should kill my Comcast TV

Kirstein > Hello Steve, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Kirstein . Please give
me one moment to review your information.
Steve > My Issue: I've been on hold for 30 min waiting for someone in Retention to pick up the call. So, my issues are: 1) really
sucky customer service 2) whether or not I should kill my Comcast TV
Kirstein > It's a pleasure to have you on chat. How's your day so far?
Steve > meh
Kirstein > I understand that you are considering on cancelling your cable service, Is that right?
Steve > yep. Encryption is hitting this area. It appears I lose HD rebroadcast of local channels as part of the deal even with
adding the DTA thing and yet another remote.
Steve > Seems a poor deal for the $
Kirstein > My apologies Steve, however this has been implemented to all markets and will be the regular setting for the
cable service. This reduces the need for installation/termination truck rolls and need for customers to wait for technicians. Also it
would expand options for self-installation.
Steve > please stop on the marketing. Please let me know if you can either provide a better combo deal or if you can have
retention call me.
Kirstein > Steven, I apologize about this however we are unable to have our retentions department contact you here on
our end. However if you are looking to lower down the bill I can transfer you over to our Sales department. They have access to
the most current promotional offers in your area and can assist you with getting the best option based on your needs.
Kirstein > Also some of the options to lower down the bill would be 1. A bill can be lowered by downgrading the
package for your service to have a lower package rate. 2. A bill can be lowered by removing some services on the account to
remove additional costs. 3. A bill can be lowered by having individual services bundled as one to have a lowered bundled rate.
4. A bill can be lowered by taking advantage of package upgrade discounts. 5. A bill can be lowered by taking advantage of
available individual service discounts offered depending on eligibility of the account.
Steve > transfer me pls
Kirstein > Sure! Please stay connected to the chat for the next available representative. Thank you for choosing
Comcast for your entertainment needs.
Kirstein > It is my pleasure to have assisted such a wonderful, cooperative and patient customer like you and if you
ever need our assistance again, remember it is our guarantee to be available to answer questions at your convenience, 24
hours a day, 7 days a week.
Kirstein > Thank you for contacting Comcast! We appreciate your business! Have a great day!
Kirstein > Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst
Jayson > Please give me time to review your previous conversation to fully understand your concern, I will need 2 to 3 minutes.
Thank you!
Jayson > I just want to share with you our Customer Gurantee. We are committed to providing our customers with a
consistently superior customer experience. If for any reason something goes wrong, we will work to resolve the issue quickly
and as professionally as we can. To know more about this, you may access this link: http://www.comcast.com/Corporate
/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html
Jayson > Thank you for giving me time to review your previous chat.
Jayson > I perfectly understand where your concern is coming from, I too am a consumer and I don't like pay higher monthly
bill.
Jayson > Not to worry, I will do my best to resolve your concern on my end.:)
Steve > nods
Jayson > To completely verify your account, may I please have your last four digits of your SSN?
Steve > xxxx
Jayson > Excellent! Thank you for providing this information. I know this is a confidential information and I truly value the trust
that you have given.
Jayson > Thank you for patiently waiting.
Jayson >
Jayson > This is the Digital Preferred Double Play Package which already includes Digital Cable and Internet . The package
has a monthly rate of $117.85/ month, but I can offer it to you at a low promotional rate of $79.99/ month for 6 months. The
package already includes Comcast Digital Cable with Channel 1 On Demand movies and shows that are ready to watch
including over 3,000 choices in stunning HD plus 100 popular channels like Starz, ESPN, MTV, National Geographic, Discovery
Kids and Nickelodeon; Comcast High-Speed Internet that's way faster than DSL. Let me go ahead and let me process this into
your account.
Jayson > This will be an upgrade at the same time lowers your bill.
Steve > What about this plan:
Steve > http://wwwb.comcast.com/cable-internet- ... OMDP165214
Steve > 59.99
Steve > it's impressively vague about the details
Jayson > You are only eligible to have a promotional upgrade.
Jayson > This is the same service that you currently have. [that I pay $96 for, btw]
Jayson > You can always go back to your old package is if you don't find it desirable.
Jayson > I guarantee, you will be keeping this package.
Jayson > Double Play Preferred $79.99 per month for 6 months.
Jayson > At the 7th to 12th month this will be at $99.99 per month.
Steve > what if i just cut the tv side. what's internet only cost?
Jayson > That will be $64.95 per month for performance only.
Jayson > You can only cancel your cable service at 1-800Xfinity.
Jayson > Comcast Chat Support has limited access for cable or line of service cancellation.
Steve > nods. Ok - as I can't get the $60/mo plan for 12mo I guess I'll just kill the tv side.
Steve > thanks for your information
Jayson > You're welcome.
Jayson > I am glad I was able to resolve your concern by providing you information on the possibilities of pricing and what
bundled package you are eligible to have. May I know if you have any additional steps or concern that needed to be address
before we can fully resolve your concern?
Steve > nope. I think my next step is clear.
Jayson > As we have resolved all of your inquiries today, I shall go ahead and close the chat window to assist another
customer. Thank you for contacting comcast live support and again have a wonderful day!
Jayson > It was a pleasure assisting and chatting with you today! Have a great day and thank you for choosing Comcast. If you
have any further questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-877-870-4310 or visit us at www.comcast.net for
technical support. We appreciate your business!
Jayson > Analyst has closed chat and left the room

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Holy Cow! I hate Comcast

Post by xan_user » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:34 am

can you get sonic.net in Monterey? if you can, check em out. it wont be quite as fast as comcrap, but it is a norcal owned and operated company, with top level, tech support (ie norcal geeks).

(monterey is not in the chrome/google spell check, wtf???)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:15 am

I'm 2.5-3 mi from ATT C.O. So, any copper wire provider will limit DSL to 768kbps or less. Been there, done that. I've been happy with the dumb pipe side of Comcast (service uptime, anyway). Too bad there isn't a local competitor I can wave about for pricing.

I'd love to see Sonic bring their fiber model to this county. :)

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:42 am

I'm had pretty much the same conversation with them :)
We moved about 15 miles from where we lived before and had to change from COX (that worked well and always picked up the phone) to Comcast... Not only are they more expensive after the "great" 6 months deal, their internet offer doesn't include espn U (only some crappy version of espn 3 with pretty much everything blacked out).
And they insisted on having a technician come to our house to "initiate" service (the previous owners of the house had Comcast too), service was interrupted maybe 3 days... and they charge for this !!!! I asked why they charge for this service and I was told that the guys has to climb on the post... :roll: really ?
Anyways, the guys shows up, looks at the modem and tells me I need a new one. He didn't even look at the model number or anything, he just glanced at it. I told him to do his thing, plug my modem in, and see what happens. Of course, it worked !!! He said I wouldn't get full performance because it is too old of a modem... just more BS, it works just fine ! And I don't want to upgrade for the heck of it.
The best part is that the only thing the guy did was plug some device into the cable in the house, punch in maybe 5 keys, and he was done (5 minutes total, including 3 minutes talking to me) ! I told him he was supposed to climb on the post. He laughed...

I cannot wait until another cable providers comes to our area !!!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:31 am

CA_Steve wrote:
I'd love to see Sonic bring their fiber model to this county. :)
even more maddening is im only @ 7 miles from their fiber zone....but we might be next on the list... fingers crossed.

sadly the telcom greed act pushed through congress in '96 really killed off the chance for any real ISP competition.

http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/09/02/am ... d-duopoly/

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:10 pm

I've never heard anyone say anything even remotely positive about Comcast. The word "sucks" is mentioned frequently.

I suspect my future will be Amazon Prime or Netflix, OTA TV, and my DVD collection. I know people who live without cable and without OTA as well. They download everything they watch. I'm not there yet.

Yeah even here Verizon hits me for $65 month for 15/5 Internet. For a little over $2/day I can buy coffee and use their free Wifi, and more serious access can be had at the local library. I can even check my email from my cell phone. And frankly less access to the Net means less time slacking off. It's too easy an excuse to do absolutely nothing for hours on end.

Remember books?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:48 am

What do we know about the new optical system from Google?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:19 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:What do we know about the new optical system from Google?
Huh?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:47 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:What do we know about the new optical system from Google?
Huh?
Ditto.

Zolishoru

Post by Zolishoru » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:59 pm

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Were you talking about Google Fiber, Neil?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:37 am

Yes, that's it, I think. My son was telling me about it the other day. I realize it is being rolled out in just a few places so far, but it may be a pressure on Comcast and Verizon to up their game?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:17 am

In general, any competition is better than no competition.

Google Fiber: I think Google will opt to pick and choose specific communities where they can get the biggest bang/$. So far, it's Kansas City. Next up is Austin....and they are purchasing an existing fiber network in Provo, Utah.

Sonic is a pretty cool ISP in northern CA. They are building out a fiber network to existing wireline customers in Sebastapol and are working on getting fiber in San Francisco.

A local ISP, Cruzio, has fiber in downtown Santa Cruz as well as linking to UCSC. They've been doing a slow creep outward and are trying to get state funding within a consortium to build a fiber backbone through our county, Monterey County and beyond. Useful for many reasons, including having another backbone loop in the area*. If that ever happens, then it's more likely they'd be able to bring fiber to the neighborhood, locally.

* If some dude cuts ATT's fiber in Santa Clara County, ATT service, and every other company aggregated on their fiber (like other wireless companies) loses service for hours/day. Not so much into redundancy, eh ATT?

flapane

Post by flapane » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:01 am

CA_Steve wrote:I've been on hold for 40 minutes waiting for one of their fucking Retention people pick up the call to renegotiate terms. At the 30 min mark, I started a text chat with customer service. Ten minutes later, she told me she was unable to deal or connect me to Retention - but she could connect me with Sales! A few minutes with Sales and the end conclusion was obvious for my use model: cut the cord. Oh yeah, after 50 minutes, nobody in Retention had picked up the call.
Great. Different countries, different ISPs, same conclusion.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:24 am

Early impact of adding a little competition to a monopolistic market.