It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can you re-use the dust bag in vacuum cleaner, like Miele?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:35 am 

For those vacuum cleaner that uses dust bag, can you not empty them, and re-use it? How does the vacuum cleaner itself knows, that I empty the dust and re-use it?

because in the manual of miele, it says "Miele dustbags are disposable and made to be used only once. Do not attempt to reuse"

why?

Post subject: Re: Can you re-use the dust bag in vacuum cleaner, like Miel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:47 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

I'm sure you can reuse them a few times. But the bag acts like a filter. The idea is air, dust and other crap goes in, only air comes out. After a while fine dust will make it hard for air to pass through. You will see best performance with a new fresh bag, but reuse it and see for yourself.

Planned obsolescence is an evil we must fight against. Reduce, reuse, recycle. In that order. :)

Server: Intel DH77DF | i3-2100T | 4TB+3x3TB | picoPSU | Idle 24W AC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:15 am 

Happy Hopping wrote:
"Miele dustbags are disposable and made to be used only once. Do not attempt to reuse"

why?

That would be because they can make money out of selling vacuum cleaner bags. It's a consumable business. :roll:

It would be well worth looking at the story of how James Dyson came to be where he is. His first experiments with a bagless vacuum was simply modifying a bagged cleaner which kept clogging up. He took his idea to Electrolux and they turned him away as they were happily making money selling bags. He set up his own company which is now the leading brand and all of his competitors have had to change their designs to be more like his.

Long story short: when you have to replace your vacuum cleaner, buy a bagless one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:31 am 

I did look in to the dyson. There are serious problems w/ it. Go to amazon.com and read the customer review on all the dyson. I spent several hr. reading it. They don't work well after 6 mth., there are a lot of complaint.

The miele has 10 yr. warranty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:13 am 

Happy Hopping wrote:
I did look in to the dyson. There are serious problems w/ it. Go to amazon.com and read the customer review on all the dyson. I spent several hr. reading it. They don't work well after 6 mth., there are a lot of complaint.

That's likely to be the case for most consumer electronics. Can't say I've ever had any problem with a Dyson.

Happy Hopping wrote:
The miele has 10 yr. warranty

Warranty lengths don't always reflect life expectancy. Something is either going to fail very early on or when it gets to natural end of life. If the end of life is at 11 years lets say, it doesn't matter if the warranty is 5,6,7,8,9 or 10 years.

Obviously reusing vacuum cleaner bags would void the warranty so you are locked into buying replacement bags for 10 years, something a bagless cleaner wouldn't have locked you into.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:39 pm 
Patron of SPCR

My Dyson is awesome, they just need a good clean every year or 2. Had it working flawlessly for over 6-years, cleaned it once, still works perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TUi7xJQ82c

I did something similar to the above video. Started with a screwdriver to get out the dust, fluff and hair out of the cylinder. Put it into the bath and took the shower head to it, and cleaned out both filters. Left it to dry, put it back together, well worth doing as I hadn't cleaned it (or even the filters) for 4-years. Told my parents and brother to do the same thing with theirs, its the only maintenance they seem to need.

If this is the "flaw" that your referring to then its fixed inside 30-minutes and without costing a penny (well almost..... no replacement parts anyway).

Would I recommend someone a Dyson, absolutely. When I got mine I vacuumed a carpet thoroughly, I then used the Dyson and got out so much more dirt it was scary and the old one seemed to work properly.

Andy