IPS monitor, radiation, and sharp object question

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Troveo

IPS monitor, radiation, and sharp object question

Post by Troveo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:00 am

Hiya fellow Silent PC enthusiast...,

I have a Dell 23 inches IPS monitor. Just now I accidentally scratched the monitor with a steak knife. It has a little scratch as per the picture below. I'm Asian, and not particularly savvy with computers, but my parents (when I was a kid) were particularly wary about new technology incl. computers and warn me about radiation leak.

I know this will sound ridiculous for you North American-ers, but this is a legitimate question from my part, will that scratch on the monitor leak any harmful radiation or anything bad that could affect my body or my eyes or something?

warm regards,

Troveo :D

quest_for_silence

Re: IPS monitor, radiation, and sharp object question

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:47 am

Troveo wrote:will that scratch on the monitor leak any harmful radiation or anything bad that could affect my body or my eyes or something?

No (but I'm a european).

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:48 am

Old CRT monitors produced a tiny quantity of x-rays, and lightly scratching the glass would not make that any worse. Modern LCD monitors produce nothing more harmful than heat and light, so there's nothing to worry about

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:00 pm

More information than you wanted to know..

There's two types of radiation:

ionizing: stuff like x-rays. When they pass through your body they have enough energy to ionize cells.

non-ionizing: Not enough energy to ionize cells when they pass through your body. Stuff like your cell phone, PC, flat screen monitor.. really everything with electronics and fast clocks that create electromgnetic waves.

Troveo

Post by Troveo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:09 am

thanks everybody for the answer, i appreciate it!
it puts me at ease :D