Windows virus infect Android?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xev

Windows virus infect Android?

Post by xev » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:31 pm

I need to access some files from a usb stick that others have said was infected with a worm or virus. I was thinking of reading it on my android via a dongle, would my phone be ok?a

NeilBlanchard

Re: Windows virus infect Android?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:50 am

I would be wary, since Android is common, and the virus might have a variant version?

Here's what I would do: download a Linux ISO file (I would suggest Ubuntu) and make a bootable disk (or USB drive?). Boot to that, and then use the suspected USB drive, and copy the files you need to the hard drive. Unmount it, and restart in Windows.

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:54 am

Even if the machine reading the files can't get infected, it can still pass it on. You would need some way to clean the files first.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:20 am

The even more complex method:
- get a free copy of VMWare and a Linux distro. Set up a Linux VM on your Windows PC and read the file via the VM. If it infects the VM, who cares, as the VM goes away when you kill the process.

edh

Post by edh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:49 pm

Or you could try a Linux Live CD with a built in antivirus.

Matty Johnson

Post by Matty Johnson » Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:I would be wary, since Android is common, and the virus might have a variant version?

Here's what I would do: download a Linux ISO file (I would suggest Ubuntu) and make a bootable disk (or USB drive?). Boot to that, and then use the suspected USB drive, and copy the files you need to the hard drive. Unmount it, and restart in Windows.

Thanks Neil for this valuable info

xev

Post by xev » Thu May 04, 2017 9:50 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:I would be wary, since Android is common, and the virus might have a variant version?

I make a Ubuntu usb drive and will try it.

I also tried making a VM within the usb drive but had boot issues. Ill disconnect all other drives so only the ubuntu flash is connected

What are some antivirus/scanners that i can load to the linux install to scan the infected drive?

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Fri May 05, 2017 11:54 am

Maybe ClamTK, sorry not so knowledgable