Some kind of dog-calming spray drug?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Max Slowik

Some kind of dog-calming spray drug?

Post by Max Slowik » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:54 am

A friend of mine visits a lot with his dog, who's about two now, at a coffee shop hangout we all meet at. He adopted the dog when the dog was a puppy, but he had the Hell beat out of him, and does weird stuff around people he doesn't know.

Which isn't any of us, but the people at the coffee shop. I overheard two (ear-drum-gougingly annoying) ladies chatting about their (oh Christ I'm going to leash that mutt to my bumper and speed home) dogs, and that they traveled a lot, so before they tossed their dogs under the plane, they spritzed this dope onto their mutts' noses and they got all happy.

Granted, their first instinct of medicating their dogs rather than training them (what, the dog's small and cute, therefore you can reason with him and not do any training?) doesn't sit well with me, but my friend's dog is a slightly different case.

Anyway, I didn't write the drug's name down, and now I can't find it; all I see are these pheromone-based, incense-and-homeopathy BS sprays. If these work, I'll take a skeptic's word on it, but I was wondering if anyone had known what this anti-anxiety spray was, or knew of one that worked.

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:41 pm

Ah, my vet called back. It's called Rescue Remedy, and although it looks preposterous, it apparently works.

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:56 pm

Rescue Remedy has a big following as a treatment for people, for humans, to deal with relatively minor physical and emotional traumas. It's used soon after the injury or upset. It's not primarily a veterinary medication.