Remove stock fan FX5200

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stereo

Remove stock fan FX5200

Post by Stereo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:46 am

Hi!

A few months ago I upgraded to an GeForce FX5200 Vga card. However, it came with a fan mounted on it. It's a small fan and now it begins to make more and more noise. What would happen if i just remove the fan and add a heatsink or a PCI slot cooler witha 80mm fan?? How do i know that the card doesn't run too hot since i couldn't find utilities to read any temperature?

10x in advance:)

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:40 am

If you're using an 80mm fan pointed at it then you're pumping more air than the tiny 40mm fan will ever achieve. You're safe mate but if your display starts to artifact get it back on quick sharp! ;)

Flatline

Point of View FX5200 running fanless

Post by Flatline » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:37 am

I've been running a Point of View 5200 without fan for a few months and no problems have arised since then.

I just removed it because it started making a very annoying noise with lots of vibration. I opted to do so because I didnt want to spend any money in passive solutions like Zalman (and because cleaning the fan and HS didnt turn into any improve) and also because wouldnt mind if the card ultimately fries itself.

I must say that without intense gaming or even no gaming at all the HS feels very hot at the touch. I guess I'm slowly frying the GPU but no signals of failure at all until today.

Saluts.

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Point of View FX5200 running fanless

Post by mattthemuppet » Wed May 25, 2005 4:30 am

I've got a Leadtek 340 FX5200 card that runs fine passively (and that's without a huge HS, just the original one). I had an exhaust blower under it in my old case but my new case is cool enough not to bother with. HTH!