Does your Arctic Cooling VGA cooler have a rattling fan?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Does your Arctic Cooling VGA cooler have a rattling fan?

Post by wumpus » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:33 pm

NOTE: THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ATI VOLTAGE "TICKING" ISSUE. As far as I know.

I installed the NV Silencer 5 on my GeForce 6800gt about six months ago. It works great and I think it's in the same noise ballpark as the older VGA Silencer on "low". Not quite, but close. Great product, directly pipes the GPU heat out of the case the way it should be. Couldn't be happier.

However, within the last month the fan developed an annoying rattling sound. It varied in noise, from across-the-room LOUD to merely noisy. Oddly enough, smacking the top of the tower case (I have the Lian-Li V2000, so the mounting is upside down-- the VGA card is very close to the top of the case and facing up) .. made the rattling go away. But when I'd wake the computer up the next day, sometimes the rattling would be back. A quick Fonz-style smack, and it'd be quiet again. Until I woke it up or restarted it.

Anyway, I eventually got sick of the Fonz aaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy! routine. I opened the case, removed the card, detached the NV Silencer 5, and examined the fan. I've talked about lubricating fans before (and there's another thread here), and luckily the design of the Silencer leaves the fan lubrication port exposed (eg you don't have to disassemble the whole thing):

Remove that black "AC" sticker, then the shiny silver one underneath, and the fan lubrication port is exposed.* I topped the port off with a generous amount of teflon based Tri-Flow, then used compressed air to spin the fan at, uh, great speeds. That should let it work its way in. I cleaned up with a paper towel, then repeated this exercise. I wanted that thing super-lubed. I left some of the tri-flow in place and taped over the lubrication port a few times to keep it in there. I then left it sitting in the correct "gravity down" orientation so the lubrication could seep in.

Anyway, after this, I re-installed and I'm happy to report that the rattling fan noises are gone.

* Does dirty computer talk make you randy? Behave!

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:52 am

Thanks for this great tip!

I already tried the ATITool fan speed setting to alleviate this noise, but it was only marginally helpful. Will try this out myself!

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:54 am

I finally tried lubricating my rattling VGA Silencer (ATI X800 Vivo)

Didn't help the rattling at all in my case, I'm sorry to report.

So I went out and bought another Arctic Cooler VGA Silencer VGA v4 yesterday and installed it.

Well, it rattles too and cannot be cured with extra lubrication either :(

I guess I got hit by the infamous ATI ticking issue?

What can I say? I'm dismayed and will not be buying another Arctic cooler ever and cannot recommend them to real silence fanatics using ATI cards.

Let it also be noted that I tried the ATITool fan speed setting to get rid of the rattle as well. That didn't help either (100% speed and it still rattles).

However, all the effort was not within vain.

Upon first removal, I did notice that my original VGA silencer had very marginal contact with RAM chips and less than optimal with the GPU core.

Now with new application of thermal paste, proper squeezing for a tight fit and tighter screws, I'm down 5-7C during load. Not bad. Hope it stays that way.

Now if only I could get rid of that rattle which is the largest single noise source in my system right now...

So, to re-iterate my WARNING: Arctic Cooler VGA Silencers may rattle and seem to constantly rattle/tickle on ATI cards when powered form the ATI voltage controller. Voltage ticking cannot be cured with lubrication. Zalman ZM-80 series with a fan of your choice is a much safer (and ultimately fixable) choice.

At least as long as something superior in cooling and acoustics comes along...

EDIT: Just noticed the ATI voltage ticking issue and have edited my post to reflect this.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:26 am

Right that's why the very first line of my post is..
NOTE: THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ATI VOLTAGE "TICKING" ISSUE. As far as I know.

Svartberg

Post by Svartberg » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:33 am

same nv 5 noise problem, it worked like a charm for like 5 months but now that my computer is quite quiet, it started building the annoying mentioned noise.

i lubricated the silencer using good machine oil (for sewing machines which is quite recommended on the aboe articles), the noise lowered by a bit, but it's still far from the boxed one :(

shadestalker

Post by shadestalker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:17 pm

I plan on trying the 3-in-1 oil thing. The one I got also has terrible chatter when first started up, after about 6 months of use. A favorable SPCR review means a lot to a product like this, but the early adopters end up being the first wave of long-term testers. I hope potential buyers take note of the fact that problems with these fans are appearing inside 6 - 8 months. Having to fix the fan isn't the end of the world, but I'd have paid 10% - 15% more for something that lives up to its hype. I'll be going Zalman next time, almost certainly.

timmytimmytimmy

Post by timmytimmytimmy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:00 pm

I have the NV1 silencer. It was good when I first got it, but now, some 6 months on, its starting to make annoying clicking noise, and my CPU fan too. Would lubricating them help??

twinturbo11

Post by twinturbo11 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:28 pm

I have a brand new ATI Silencer 5 (rev 2) and its airflow noise is really loud! I would have thought that by version #5 they would have it right by now...

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:01 pm

halcyon wrote:WARNING: Arctic Cooler VGA Silencers may rattle and seem to constantly rattle/tickle on ATI cards when powered form the ATI voltage controller. Voltage ticking cannot be cured with lubrication. Zalman ZM-80 series with a fan of your choice is a much safer (and ultimately fixable) choice.
I have an arctic cooler Rev.4 on my 6800GT and it works fine. It's been running for 3 months (previously used for 6 months) with no rattles and the tinyest ticking when the fan's reduced in speed. It's far cooler than any other heatsink I've seen and the exhaust goes right out the back of the case!

The ZM-80 works fine on some cards but i'd have to have the 80mm fan going pretty hard to cool mine.

The fact is, if you run the arctic cooler in a tower case you'll never hear the ticking unless you have the side off.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:27 pm

The ZM-80 works fine on some cards but i'd have to have the 80mm fan going pretty hard to cool mine.
Yes, that can be true.

However, it's easy to install a 120mm fan on it and run it at 5V with very cool temps. I've done that. Cooler temps than with my rev3 AC VGA silencer.
The fact is, if you run the arctic cooler in a tower case you'll never hear the ticking unless you have the side off.
I beg to disagree!

If one's system is sufficiently quiet, the ticking can be really audible and annoying.

Surely this was the case in the two systems I built in the past year (both with best of class internal damping materials, tight construction and very silent components).

Hence the reason I gave up on the unreliable (they can start to tick even without pwm, requiring disassembly) and ticking (always with PWM afaik) Arctic Coolers.

YMMV, but you have now been warned on the Arctic Cooling VGA silencers, if you are reading this :)