Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 HDMI + Accelero S1 rev2

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 HDMI + Accelero S1 rev2

Post by thejamppa » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:04 pm

Hello everyone!

I was bored and found back of my closet 2x 1000 RPM S-flex 92mm's and AC Accelero S1 Rev 2. The Sapphire's stock cooler does decent job but is audiable. I was almost pulling trigger on AC TwinTurbo Pro but hey, since I got Accelero S1 rev 2 why buy another.

The Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 HDMI (now known as HD 4850) uses Sapphires own dual slot heatsink which is PWM controlled. The board is also very different from the reference design as VRM's are in front and have stock aluminium heatsink.

Stock cooler did decent job but nature of the fan, clear bristle fan, 80 mm blades means still quite nasty tone quality. So off it goes finally.

My victim awaits:

Stock cooler removed. Copper core is visible with a lot thermal goop.

Spahhire's board layout is different from reference model quite bit.

Close up from the GPU

New cooler Accelero S1 Rev 2 installed with 2x 92mm S-flexes ziptied ( 1000 rpm variants )

Stock VRM heatsink is tall but goes nice and limit with fins of Accelero S1 rev 2

Memory heatsinks stick nicely

Card up and running in P182

VGA is in Mid 30's now and with 2x92mm fans blowing so that VRM's get a lot air the sound quality has changed a lot better. I am quite happy the results even PCI-E power plug is now harder to access.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:37 pm

You only need a single fan, or none at all if your case gets sufficient airflow. My 4850 was perfectly happy running passively with a S1.

I encountered that stock fan on a 4830; it was okay, just too aggressive, so I modded the connector so it would plug into the 3-pin on the motherboard and controlled it with SpeedFan.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:01 am

I know I know only one fan or no fans at all. But 1000 RPM 92mm fans are slow moving fans that also do not push that much air. I decided to use 2x 92mm fans so I could spread air flow nicely over VRM and memories too. Once I install Akasa Fan Control Jr on the case I'll undervolt both fans slightly.

One idea for this mod was to use more the good parts I had in stock in closet to put them in good use. Then it would have not been like waisting money ^^

I'll make some tests soon with the fan controller.

Edit: I also did some tests with reference cooler and AC L2 Pro. Automatic fan controlling did not work but you could easily use Ati's driver's to adjust the fan speed manually. AC L2 Pro seemed to work slightly better thanks due 92mm fan vs 80mm fan in stock cooler and larger surface.